Brokenhearted I've been.

After the passing of Erwin's father, you recalled the funeral day. Standing next to your father holding his meaty palm while fiddling with your shoes you began booting the grass out of the dirt. Sniffing and moaning were heard and you didn't feel anything at all, just lethargy. Your father knew this dead man, yet you didn't, yet here you were obligated to stand in front of the casket.

Everyone was swathed in opaque apparel and held an umbrella while it poured. It felt.. cliche to say the least. Was the God of the heavens saddened by this man's death as well? Perhaps.

Your father walked up to the podium sharing a few words such as the tremendous connections he had with Mr.Smith and his incredible accomplishments as a teacher and a friend. You only clapped at the end and continued to stare at your tiny black shoes. Everyone else shared their monotone sermons and shed tears, such powerful suffering that flooded the hearts of everyone like a hive mind.

Yet your attention landed on Erwin who had a very grim look on his face. His hair was parted faultlessly through the middle and he wore a jet suit. His wide bug eyes seemed sealed shut as he did the same as you, staring at his soles. His weirdly seed-shaped eyebrows looked hollow and his eyes puffy as he held back the tears that crammed his eyes.

You didn't know what to feel for him either? Pity? That would be cruel. Dismal for him? Maybe, after all, you did have your father by your side. Yet that was a rigorous way to perceive the situation so you decided to sit still and wait for your father to command you to say your apologies for his loss. You couldn't bring yourself to do it by yourself and out of your heart as it felt wrong.

Your father returning ordered you to stand snatching your hand firmly and leading you to the crying boy.

"I'm sorry for your loss young man, your father was a great man.", he pats his blond head before hugging the boy. You barely stood beside his leg nodding and sharing the same gesture. Of course, your father expected more from you as he gave you a dingy side glance that spoke many phrases.

"S-Sorry about your father...", you offered him a hug. That wasn't odd, right? No of course not it was only a sign of physical affection. Patting his back you smiled awkwardly and took a step back.

From then on you hoped you'd never see the blonde orphan again. It would be very difficult to try and avoid the constant reminder that his father was dead.

Of course, fate has other things in motion and you certainly weren't a favorite in the mix. If anything you were the despised ingredient placed on the side of the plate.

"Y/N come here young lady.", your father's commanded pointing to the rigid chair that rested in front of his desk.

"Is everything okay father?" Your shrill little voice murmured as you awaited either retribution or some form of reward. Most likely the first one, you hadn't done anything that was deemed as rewardable in his eyes. Despite your excellent grades and idiosyncrasy as well as how your attitude contrasted with that of other children your age. Those things were considered typical in his eyes.

"How do you feel about having a sibling of the sort ?"

"Sibling?", your mind ran in circles and delved into a pool of thought as you imagined what he might've meant by that. Had he been having relations with a woman that you did not know of?

"Not In the way you're thinking of, I am taking in the son of my late friend. You remember him, Erwin Smith, the boy at the funeral."

"O-Oh... I see."

Right then and there you acknowledged you'd be having another child your age at home. It could be decent, but it could also be horrendously terrible. The cons took precedence over the pros as your cynical self could only think of the adverse outcomes. You could only imagine how things would go from now, from the meals that would be shared to the chores that would be split.