5- Worst Year Ever

☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎__________The Great Hall __________☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎

☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎
__________
The Great Hall
__________
☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎

The Great Hall was bustling with all of the students entering and chatting with their friends they haven't seen all summer long. Rooney looked up to see hundreds of burning candles floating high above the tables, suspended in midair, a most welcoming and magical sight.

She looked ahead towards the main table where all of the professors sat and saw Snape, Trelawny, Flitwick, and Sinistra already sat in their respective seats observing the students making their way towards their respective tables. She then saw Headmaster Albus Dumbledore making his way to his seat with his hands clasped in front of him and the ghost of a smile on his face.

Suddenly her attention was pulled away as Jocasta grabbed her arm, "Let's go and sit near the front, I want to get a good view of the sorting Roo-Roo!" and she was whisked towards the front of the Ravenclaw table, Jo sitting on her right, and Roger trailing behind the girls, sat on her left.

"Ooh I'm so excited! I've got a bet going with Lufkin, more Ravenclaw newbies than Hufflepuff this year." said Jo excitedly.

"Betting, really Baldwin?" Roger questioned. "Oh please, as if you don't do the same for quidditch." Jo remarked, defending herself from Rogers' judgement.

"I bet on teams, not children Baldwin, there's a moral difference."

"No there isn't?"

"Um, yes there—"

"Will the two of you knock it off, I want to enjoy this night without the two of you giving me a headache for once please." Rooney interrupted the two bickering Ravenclaws besides her. If there was one thing those two were bound to do, it was start an argument.

As if on cue, the grand doors to the Great Hall had opened and Professor McGonagall strode through at the front, leading a pack of small first years as they trailed behind her, gazing about the room in wonder.

"How adorable", said Jo, "watching them always takes me back to my first year." she said smiling with a hand resting under her chin as she watched all the children line up before the sorting hat. Rooney smiled as well, remembering very well her very first day at Hogwarts. Her mother had dropped her off at the station along with Rogers' parents. The two had already known each other for years due to their parents friendship, but were always too shy around one another. As they sat together alone in a train compartment away from home for the very first time is when they had begun to form a bond like no other, and sweets from the trolley may have been involved.

Dumbledore made his way up to the podium at the front of the hall and welcomed the students, new and returning. This was the part where Rooney began to mentally cringe as she knew what was coming. She had always found it so strange that the sorting hat would sing a song at the beginning of every year. She just found it strange that the hat was singing in general. Why was a hat singing? She knew it was magic, but it still peeved her out, and Roger always made fun of her for it.