Prologue

☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎

June 25th, 1994
_______________

In a quaint little village just outside of Devon, England, lived a young girl and her mother, Rooney and Eabha Aberdeen. It was only the two of them, always just the two of them.
The girl never had a father, or at least a father who was willing to stay for the sake of family according to her mother.
They had everything they needed anyways, just the two of them. They knew how to take care of each other and could talk to each other like best friends.
When it was finally time for the young girl to head off to school, it was the first time both of them had been away from each other in years, but they pushed through.
Over the next few years the girl had made some of the closest friends and was top of her class in studies.
But things were getting worse for the young Aberdeen.
The curse.
Her mother told her about her ancestral curse from a very young age and throughout her life she's heard whisperings, seen apparitions, and felt the jaws of death slowly gnawing at her like crows on a carcass.
It wasn't until the summer of her sixth year that the worst part of her curse was unleashed, and the young Aberdeen girl was never the same.

☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎

"Roger, stop cheating!" cried out Rooney.
"I'm not! You're just a sore loser and you can't even cheat in exploding snap!"
"Can too you're doing it now!"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes you are- Hey! I saw that!" Rooney cried out again at Roger.
"Saw what?"
"You're peeking at the cards!"
"I'm sorry were you saying something?" he teased.

This went on for about another thirty minutes as Rooney and Roger mindlessly played the game.

It was a Saturday night, and every other weekend Rooney spent at the Davies household.
Rooney had known Roger since they were children, but had not officially become friends with the boy until their first year at Hogwarts. She was placed in the same house as him and his older brother Chester and ever since then, the two of them had stuck together like glue.

Besides her mother, the Davies were like family. They would spend holidays together, go on trips together in the summer and took turns living at each other's houses. Rooney was thankful to have such a great friend in her life, and today was one of those days where she appreciated Roger for the little things, like being his stupid immature self.

"Alright you brats, mum said no later than midnight and it's already thirty past" Scolded Chester.
"Oh come on Ches don't be such a drag" mocked Roger.
"I don't care if I have to drag you two up there myself but I'll do it."
Roger gave his older brother a glaring look but gave in because he knew his brother would mean what he said.
"Fine, but if you get bored and want to join the party, no losers allowed." Said Roger.
"Whatever" Chester said as he walked out of the room.

"Well Ches is sure in a mood." Said Rooney.
"Yeah what's new."
Rooney laughed and helped Roger clean up their game of exploding snap, all while trying to be careful not to have the cards explode in her face.

Both teens trudged up the stairs and plopped onto Rogers bed as they begun to scour his Quidditch magazines.

"Man look at Benjy Williams, isn't he the best seeker out there?" Roger exclaimed while flipping through the pages.
"I guess, he's good but how do you know he's the best?"
Roger looked up at Rooney incredulously.
"Because he plays for Puddlemere Roo!"
Rooney just laughed at his outburst and continued reading.
"I hope one day I get to play for Puddlemere United, It'd be the best thing."
"One day you will Roger, I believe you will."
"Rooney you can't just say that."
"Why not? You are the damn best chaser we've got, heck you're the captain of our Quidditch team for Merlin's sake and they'd be stupid not to have you Rog." Rooney scolded.

Roger looked up at Rooney to see that she truly meant it. Of course she did, she believed in him more than anyone else.
"Thanks Roo."
"Anytime."

Hours later both teens had fallen asleep,
Roger in his bed and Rooney on the pullout. It was the early hours of the morning and Rooney was tossing and turning in her sleep. It was as if she was having a nightmare, but it was something different.

Suddenly she bolted awake, sweat beading down her forehead and eyes wide open. She could hear them. The voices of the dead calling out to her. She hasn't heard them in weeks, why now? It was one voice over the other and constantly overlapping to where she couldn't hear any coherent thought.

"Stop, stop it, please." Rooney whispered trying not to wake Roger.
The voices were getting louder and her head was pounding.
She grabbed her head and shut her eyes tight trying her best to block it all out.
"Okay breathe, just breathe Rooney you can do this." As they were getting louder she was able to hear the voices clearer, the agonizing cries of the dead and their grisly thoughts. "No no no no no." Roger shuffled in his bed hearing Rooney talking to herself.

"Roo? Are you up?" he asked, voice raspy from sleep.
He saw her crouched on her bed and her head tucked into her knees.
"Rooney what's the matter." Roger, more awake now, got out of bed and walked over to the girl crouching and mumbling to herself.
"Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop." Rooney cried.

Roger knew about Rooney. He knew about her family and her curse. He found out one day in second year when he found her huddled in Moaning Myrtles bathroom plagued by the same voices that haunt her now.
Rooney opened up to Roger that day and the two have been inseparable ever since, Roger feeling a sort of need to always look out for her.
He's never been afraid of Rooney or her curse.
And he still isn't.

"Roo remember just breathe ok, in and out."
Roger places his hands on her arms and breathed with her.
Rooney looked up at Roger and began to breathe. Her face was tear stained and her breath was shaky but she tried to calm down to get rid of the voices reaching out to her.
"Good keep doing that you're okay I'm here" soothes Roger.
"No, something's wrong, it's getting worse, I can feel it." Cried Rooney.

Rooney was breathing even harder now as the voices progressed and soon she couldn't hear Roger anymore, only the dead and she felt a sharp jab in her heart.

She looked up at Roger with fear in her eyes, and that's when she saw an image of her mother flash across her vision, almost as if her mother were standing right in front of her, long brown hair and her sweet smile. Except the only difference was her mothers eyes were not their normal forest green that she knew so well, they were white, purely white, and her mother was not smiling, instead her mouth was open as if gasping for air, one hand outstretched towards Rooney.

Suddenly the world around her froze and was silent, she no longer heard the voices of the dead calling out to her and all she felt was numbness.

Then she screamed.

☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎

Original characters/plot belong to J.K Rowling. New characters/plot belong to me. Do not steal my work.