1- The Case of the Augurey

☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎▪︎☠︎

________________

Two Weeks Later
________________

Rooney was numb. She couldn't feel anything.
She was lying on her mother's bed, her head flat against the pillow and her arms wrapped underneath. The tear stains have long dried on her face and she has run out of tears to cry.

Rooney couldn't believe her mother was gone. The only family she had left. Just, gone. She didn't even know how, the Aurors told her it must've been a rogue wizard of some kind but she knew it was a load of bull. Ever since Sirius Black had escaped from Azkaban the year prior she knew her mother had told her that from now on to always watch her back, because things were becoming even more dangerous by the day and it was becoming harder to know who to trust.

"Hey Roo, you awake?" Came a soft voice at the door. Rooney didn't even flinch at the sound of the voice, she knew who it was immediately.
The floor creaked under the footsteps and the bed dipped as they sat down besides her.

"Hey Roo, all of your stuff is downstairs, we can wait for you as long as you need, but we need to be home by dinner."
Rooney didn't want to move from her mother's bed. She didn't want to leave. She couldn't. But she had to.

She turned her head and looked up at Roger.
His face showed the utmost sympathy and care that Rooney had seen on anyone's face in weeks. Those stupid Aurors could hardly give a damn about her mother, it was as if she was another case to file on their shelf and place under "unknown circumstances" or "who cares".

Rooney began to tear up at the sight of Roger and once again she was overrun with guilt. "Roger, I heard her! I could have saved her, I should have been here I-I" she choked on her words and Roger scooped her up and held her close, comforting her as best as he could.

"Roo, there's nothing you could have done, you know that, I'm sorry, but if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times Rooney, you are not defined by your curse. You can overcome this, I know you can." Roger held onto Rooney's shoulders and Rooney couldn't help but know he was right. He's told her this many times, but how can she possibly overcome this when she had no one left but herself.

"Are you almost ready to leave?" Asked Roger.

Rooney wiped away her tears and swallowed, " Yeah yeah, I think I'm ready. I don't want to but I have to do it, I have to leave."

Rooney sat up on her mother's bed and looked around the bedroom. She remembered all of the times she would come in here in the middle of the night when she couldn't sleep and her mom would tell her a story. Or how her mother taught her to knit and sew patches on her old jeans and sweaters when they began to tear. But most importantly, this was the room where her mother told her of her inherited curse. Something that will plague her for the rest of her life.

"But the one thing that makes this all okay is that I'm glad I get to stay with you Rog." 

Roger smiled at the girl and she gave him a light hearted smile in return. Roger stood up from the bed and offered Rooney his hand to help her up. As she got off of the bed, both teens exited the room and headed for the living room where all of the girls things were packed. She had every clothing item, every school item, and all of the things she wanted to keep from her mother.