03 - Where It Hurts

03 - Where It Hurts

U N E D I T E D

"If it's love you want again, don't waste your time."

— Hurt you by The Weeknd

Emi Hayashi was 17 years old when she first met Oliver.

She was never one for sports, sure she attended parties and heard about the popular athletes in their school but she never really bothered to know anything more than that. She was familiar with some names like Itoshi Sae who was probably the most popular athlete in their school. She was sure the entirety of Japan probably knew the redhead's name. There was also the athlete who modelled on the side– Yukimiya Kenyu.

She didn't bother memorizing any names, other than the ones her friends mostly talked about. It wasn't her looking down on them– hell she was sure she didn't exist in their world– sports and athletes just had never really been her thing. And she was so sure that it would be the same until she graduated college.

But life has a way of surprising you by throwing you things you'd least expect to catch.

And she wasn't prepared for the changes Oliver Aiku was about to make to her life.

She never really knew him from the get-go. She heard of his name but that's all there was, she never pried to know more about the guy. But that was the thing, she knew his name but not who he was. After being bribed and begged for so long by her friends to join them in watching a match that their school would be participating in, she finally agreed. Their first meeting had been like a cliche scene out of a movie.

There was a reason why she never really bothered with sports, that was because of her lack of athletic abilities. But she was sure that even if she had been an average person who could play, she would still not be able to catch the ball that was speeding towards her. Not knowing what to do, she decided to just close her eyes and brace the impact. Till it never came.

Opening her eyes, she was met by the sight of a dark-haired boy with dual-colored eyes. As if the world suddenly gained so much color, she finally got to meet the boy who she only knew by name before.

Bowing to her and repeatedly apologizing for his teammate's reckless actions, Emi dumbfounded and still shocked with everything, just nodded and agreed to everything the boy had said. Hearing the teasing voices of her friends on her side she knew she was fucked.

Emi was 17 years old when she fell in love at first sight with Oliver. The guy who made her life brighter and full of color.

She genuinely thought things would end there, the boy probably wasn't even aware of her existence nor her name. She was fine with just having him as a happy crush in her last year of high school. He had certainly made her high school life more interesting. Now that she was aware of who he was, sports suddenly didn't seem as boring as it had been originally for her. Sure all the rules and plays would still tire her, but seeing Aiku play balanced it all out.

The games she attended where she watched him on the sidelines and the glances she stole when she saw him around school should have been where it stopped. Admiration, a crush, everybody had those. She knew she'd get over it sooner or later.

Until she finally got to formally meet him. She didn't even know they were attending the same university till classes started and she ended up pairing with him for a school project. Everything was still so cliche she once thought. Sure she never really had expectations when it came to her crush on him but she would be lying if she said she wasn't delighted by the fact that he finally knew who she was.