04 - No Right

04 - No Right

U N E D I T E D

"Cause I wanna keep you close, I don't wanna lose my spot."

- Is There Someone Else? by The Weeknd

Oliver Aiku drew people in ever since he was young.

He was the type who made friends easily, especially because of how reliable and outgoing he was. He's the type of friend you'll never be bored with, friendship with him was like an adventure filled with nothing but excitement. It was spontaneous and fun. Yet despite this, he would only call a few people his close friends.

Every single one of his other friends knew despite the lack of verbal reminders. Even if they held the label as his friend, they were not on the same level as the people he was actually close with.

But friendships are typically like that anyway. You can have so many friends but there'll always be those specific people you'd feel more comfortable with.

Sae and Shidou were his childhood friends. Three boys who found a common interest in their love for soccer. While their personalities clashed every now and then, they were still a great trio who kept each other in check.

Then came Yukimiya, Otoya, and Karasu.

Same common interest, a certain one with a similar personality but a great connection with all three nevertheless. Five guys he knew that would always be there for him. Friends that he knows he can lean on when he's troubled and at the same time friends who aren't afraid to correct him when he's in the wrong. They weren't the ones who'd tolerate his bullshit and just continuously feed his ego.

And he was thankful for that.

Yet there was one thing the five knew never to touch on too much when it came to Oliver. Yes, they can question him and counter the decisions he chooses to make, all except when that decision involves a certain someone.

Oliver himself knew that no matter how many new friends he made or no matter how much deeper his connection with the five got, no one would be able to get on the level of L/n Y/n.

Every single one of his close friends had already expressed that in their eyes, what he and Y/n had wasn't what you'd typically see in platonic friendships like he insists it was. Although some weren't as direct as Yukimiya, the point still stands. Every single time Oliver would shut it down though without a fail.

Whether it was denial or a genuine belief that such thing is impossible didn't matter.

All Oliver wanted was to ensure that there weren't any factors that could ruin what he already had with her. So even if it's actually love that he feels for her, as long as the possibility of losing her is attached to it, he wouldn't risk it.

He'd rather silently love her by himself if that meant he'd be able to stay by her side forever.

With how long he had been doing it successfully, he was convinced that this was the only right way to go about it. It got to the point wherein he genuinely believed that the feelings he had for her were nothing but friendship. However, he forgot that all of that had been possible due to the fact that Y/n had never been in a relationship before. Sure, she had people she talked with, but it never got past the talking stage.

So in the past decade that they had been friends, he had always been Y/n's priority. Being the person Y/n's closest to other than her family and Nagi gained him that privilege.