06 - What He Could Lose

U N E D I T E D

"You're making me believe that even
just the thought of you,
never felt so sweet"

— Becca by The Sukis

Y/n had been a part of Oliver's life, as far as his memory goes.

If Y/n was there, expect Oliver to be within the vicinity as well. They were like peas in a pod, you wouldn't see one without seeing the other. But despite that, Oliver was still able to hide Y/n from his other friends– friends who he thought might have been a threat or more specifically, friends who might take interest on his y/n. That was the reason why despite being his close friends, Ryusei and Sae weren't immediately introduced to the girl.

They knew Oliver had a close friend other than them– they just don't have a name or face to put to the said friend. Even then, the two didn't think much of it before because Oliver was an outgoing person. The type who'd immediately befriend others upon first meeting.

Growing up in the same neighborhood with their parents immediately befriending each other, the two were bound to be friends. Truth be told, their parents are expecting the two to end up together. Especially with Oliver's parents seeing how their son treats and looks at the l/n family's daughter.

The two had always been present at each other's important events, neither missing a single one. May it be Oliver's first tournament or Y/n's school competition, the other had always been there to support, congratulate, and provide comfort at times of loss. It didn't matter how small or grand the event was, as long as the other's involved then it's important. They knew each other like the back of their hands, they knew each other's favorites, dislikes, etc. They knew when to talk, what to say, and when it'd be best to just give the other space.

But you can never really know someone entirely, and preventing Y/n from seeing the not so great aspects of Oliver became easier when they had to go to separate high schools. While he argued about it at first, obviously not wanting to be apart from his favorite person, he came to accept it as well. Especially because of the weird things he'd been feeling lately. He thought that maybe the distance might do him some good– might give him a chance to figure out himself on his own.

He wasn't stupid, he knew people talked. Whispers and questions about his relationship with Y/n. While the latter is better at not noticing things like that, Oliver wasn't, and sometimes it ends up getting him. It ends up getting him to the point that he himself questions the same exact thing. What was it between him and Y/n? No. Does he have feelings towards the girl he grew up with? Had he fallen in love with his childhood best friend?

These were questions that kept him up, wondering and dreaming about confessing to his best friend because who knows, she might feel the same way as him. While he isn't that well versed in love just yet, his only knowledge coming from watching his parents and the other wasn't even a romantic love– his love for soccer, he thought this might be something that he and Y/n could learn along the way.

But he was young, while some would say it's better to try and learn more things when you're younger, for Oliver, Y/n wasn't someone he could risk to just become a learning experience.

And his gossips with Shidou certainly didn't help his fear in confessing.

"I heard Akito and his best friend are no longer friends."