xxi.

EDITED

Eliza could tell that Bella's upcoming transition was still bothering Jacob no matter how well he hid it while they were together. So she had no clue how Jacob was going to take the news after she had just gotten a call from Bella.

Eliza had been in the living room when she got a call from Edward. Eliza furrowed her eyebrows at the call, unsure why the vampire would be calling her. "Hello?" Eliza asked hesitantly as she answered the call. "Eliza!" Bella's voice came out in a whisper but Eliza also heard some relief in the human's tone. "Bella?" Eliza answered back confused, causing Emmett and Alice to look at the vampire alarmed. "I need your help." Bella pleaded over the phone as Eliza left the room, hoping it would stop her family from eavesdropping.

Eliza was wrong and news spread quickly through the Cullen home that Bella Swan was pregnant. Tensions were high in the home as everyone waited for the couple to get back home and Eliza wasn't sure about how she felt about keeping Jacob in the dark like they were everyone else. The shifter could tell Eliza was on edge and he noticed how she avoided him for the past week.

Eliza's worries were settled when Charlie Swan informed Jacob that his daughter had gotten a stomach bug and was extending her honeymoon. Eliza knew that Jacob would assume that the story was a cover-up to Edward turning her, but she hoped he would be rational in his reaction.

Eliza sensed her mate before any of the other Cullens, the vampires slowly desensitized by the scent that now clung to Eliza. Edward saw a look of realization flash across Eliza's face and he wasted no time invading her mind and informing the coven of the shifter's arrival. Eliza glared at Edward for being such an invasive ass since the couple's return and quickly made her way to the front door.

"Jake." Eliza sighed as she opened the door for her mate. "Is it true?" Jacob immediately looked at Eliza, hoping she wasn't lying to him. "Can you calm down, please?" Eliza set her hand on the shifter's bicep as she took in his nearly shaking form. "El, just tell me the truth." Jacob took a deep breath as he prepared to hear of his friend's death. "Jake, is that you?" Bella's weak voice called out from the living room and Eliza winced when she saw the betrayed look on Jacob's face. "She's here?" Jacob looked at Eliza in surprise before barreling up the stairs.

"Jake, wait!" Eliza used her super speed to make her way in front of her mate, gently setting her hand on his chest. "I need you to be calm, Bella is going to need you to be calm." Eliza gently set her other hand on his cheek, putting his full attention on herself. "Eliza, what is going on?" Jacob grew frustrated by his mate's vague and passive words. "I just-I need you to trust me, okay?" Eliza tried to get Jacob to calm down and approach the situation with a rational mind. "I trust you." Jacob looked past the blonde before nodding his head as he spoke. "Good, follow me." Eliza grabbed Jacob's hand, slowly guiding him up the rest of the stairs.

Rosalie stood in front of Bella as she still didn't trust Jacob, no matter what he meant to Eliza. "I'm glad you came." Bella could only poke her head out from behind Rosalie. "Rose, it's okay." Eliza met Rosalie's nervous eyes and she kept her hold on Jacob's hand. Rosalie sighed and moved out of the way and the couple took a few more steps toward the human.

Jacob let out a sigh of relief when he realized Bella was still human. "You look horrible." The shifter then commented as he took a seat next to the brunette. "Yeah, it's nice to see you too." Bella let out a weak laugh as she played with her fingers. "So are you going to tell me what's wrong with you?" Jacob looked between Eliza, Rosalie, and Bella. "Eliza, Rose, can you help me up?" Bella looked at the two blondes expectantly. Eliza moved to help Bella stand, wrapping her arms around the girl's arm and waist as Rosalie stood behind Bella as extra support.