xxii.

EDITED

Eliza heard the howls that echoed through the air only minutes later and Eliza didn't need her senses to know that Jacob would be returning any moment. Edward had obviously heard the shifter's thoughts and the pained look on Jasper's face meant that Jacob was being torn apart by whatever had just occurred. Edward immediately made his way out to the balcony and Eliza followed out of concern.

"Get ready, they're coming for Bella." Jacob looked away from Eliza's gaze as he and Seth now stood in front of the pair. "They're not going to touch her." Edward gave Jacob a respectable nod as she listened into the shifter's mind. "Agreed." Jacob glanced over at Eliza and Edward turned to leave. "What happened?" Eliza looked to the shifter for some sort of information. "I left the pack." Jacob confessed and Eliza immediately looked at him concerned.

"Man, I can smell them from all the way out here." Leah Clearwater's voice broke any further conversation. "What the hell are you doing here?" Jacob glared at Leah as she stepped out of the trees. "I'm not going to let my little brother get himself killed." Leah looked over at Seth with a scolding expression. "Go away, Leah. I can take care of myself." Seth pouted as he gave his sister an annoyed look. Eliza couldn't help but smile at the young shifter's fight for independence and justice.

"The fact that you think so proves that you need a babysitter." Leah wasn't amused with her brother's attitude. "Would the both of you shut up?" Jacob snapped at the sibling, annoyed that either followed him. "Did Sam send you?" Jacob then glanced over at the female shifter with suspicion. "Sam doesn't even know I left." Leah confessed right before another chorus of howls was heard. "I think he just figured it out." Eliza finally spoke up, earning herself a dirty look from Leah. "Jake, I know what his plan is." Leah looked at Jacob hopeful that she could stay.

"Sam's lost the element of surprise and he doesn't want to take you on outnumbered, so he's not going to come at you head on. So, he's got the place surrounded and he'll wait for his opportunity." Jacob and Eliza moved inside so that the situation at hand could be fully discussed. "They won't get through without a fight." Emmett shifted his stance as he stood in front of the balcony doors. "No fights. We won't be the ones to break the treaty." Carlisle turned to the burly vampire immediately.

"The treaty is void, at least in Sam's mind." Jacob disagreed with Carlisle's approach. "Not in ours." Esme shook her head respectfully. "Carlisle, no one's hunted for weeks." Emmett took a step forward as he brought up his concerns about the future. "We'll make do." Esme looked at Emmett with sympathy, despite her own concerns. "You've done us a great service Jacob, thank you." Carlisle gave Jacob a grateful look as the coven began to leave the room.

"Bree is visiting the Denali's, at least she'll be safe." Eliza let out a sigh as she leaned back into the couch cushion. "You'll all be safe, we'll make sure of it." Jacob looked at his imprint with determination. "Thank you." Eliza turned her head to lie against Jacob's shoulder. "I know you don't agree with Bella's decision." Eliza tried to be understanding in the midst of all the chaos. "I don't but it seems you do, so I'm here to support you both." Jacob wrapped his arm around Eliza and pulled her close. "I think it'll be fun having a baby around." Eliza smiled at the thought. "Of course you do." Jacob laughed at the blonde's words.

The house had gone quiet as the sun set and Jacob moved back outside again, this time Eliza stood with the shifter. The couple stood by the stream of running water, Jacob's arms wrapped around Eliza as she leaned against his chest. "I know they're out there, I just can't hear them anymore. It's so quiet." Jacob scrunched up his face as his mind was met with silence. "I stopped hearing them, too, the second I decided to leave." Leah reappeared, hesitantly walking toward the couple. "It's nice." Leah shared her own thoughts on the pack's separation.

"You know you can't stay here." Jacob gave Leah a warning look. "But I don't have anywhere else to-" Jacob didn't want to be bothered with Leah. "I can't trust you with the Cullens, you hate them too much." Jacob let his arms fall to his side as Eliza moved so that he could face the other shifter. "You don't even like me." Jacob then scoffed after a moment of silence. "I don't have to, I just have to follow you." Leah remained calm as she tried to reason with Jacob. Eliza tried to stay out of the discussion and moved only a few feet closer to the stream.

"Look, Seth doesn't want you here, and neither do I." Jacob still didn't want the female around. "Being unwanted isn't exactly a new thing for me." Leah rolled her eyes at his statement but turned to leave anyway. "Look, I'll stay out of your way. I'll do whatever you want, except go back to Sam's pack and be the pathetic ex-girlfriend he can't get away from." Leah gave one last plea.

"You don't know how many times I wished I could imprint on someone, anyone." Leah continued when she knew she had Jacob's attention. "Just to break the connection." Leah hoped that Jacob would understand her better than anyone else. "Just let her stay." Eliza spoke up softly, she knew what it was like to watch someone she loved be with another. Jacob looked at Eliza with shock and some confusion but Eliza just gave him a small encouraging smile.

"All right." Jacob sighed and turned to Leah with a nod. Leah looked at the blonde grateful and Jacob felt pride swirl in his chest when he looked at Eliza. "We're going to do a perimeter run." Jacob gave Eliza a small hug, kissing her forehead before turning away again. "You got my flank?" Jacob looked at Leah expectantly and the shifter eagerly nodded. 

"Hey." Eliza smiled at her mate as she made her way off the deck the next day. "You cook now?" Jacob looked at Eliza amused as she had a couple of sandwiches in her hand. "God, no. Esme helped make them." Eliza shook her head with an amused smile, handing Jacob the bag of food. "Leah." Eliza held two sandwiches out to the female shifter. Leah looked over at the blonde wearily but it was obvious nothing changed in their dynamic as Leah shook her head and turned away. Eliza pursed her lips as she turned to Seth, who was more than happy to take the food. Seth grinned at Eliza as he gratefully took the sandwiches.