xxiv.

EDITED

The four Cullens were in the middle of their hunt when Carlisle got a call from Edward, Bella's spine had snapped and the baby was coming. There was no way that Carlisle was going to be able to make it back in time, but Eliza might've if pack law still stood with Jacob gone. Deciding to take the risk, Eliza made her way back to the treaty line. Eliza prayed that their imprinting rule still applied as she backed up and quickly launched herself off the ledge that separated the two lands. The wolves picked up her scent and she ran as fast as possible as she heard the snarls behind her. Eliza did her best not to glance behind her until she neared success. Paul was gaining on her when she finally glanced back but she saw the treaty line nearing and bounced off an upcoming tree, crossing the tribe's land. Eliza landed on neutral territory but she would have to cross again in order to get to her home. Launching herself back onto Quileute land, Eliza felt a sharp pain in her calf.

The blonde hissed before speeding up in enough time that she successfully landed back on the Cullen property. Eliza slowed her run as she had enough time to glance at the claw mark that was now carved into her body. Eliza ignored the mark as she rushed into the home, searching for her family. "Rose, let the morphine spread." Edward's voice guided Eliza to the scene. "There's no time, he's dying." Rose argued with Edward as Eliza took in the state of Bella's body. "She's right, we have to do this now." Eliza looked between Bella and Edward.

"Get him out now!" Bella snapped as she fought to stay conscious through all the pain. Eliza didn't bother looking at Edward before she grabbed the scalpel and moved to cut the human open. Rosalie saw the blood gush from the incision and began to lose control. Edward immediately tackled Rosalie as soon as she took a step forward, not taking any chances. "Alice, get her out of here." Eliza couldn't focus if she was worried about her family losing control. "Save her, you have to change her." Jacob was with Eliza at Bella's side. "He can't, not while the baby's still in there." Eliza shook off Jacob's request as she tried her best to speed up the process.

"Stay focused, keep you're heart beating." Jacob coached Bella as Eliza worked as fast as she could. "He's suffocating." Bella worried and Eliza made a rash decision to skip a few steps, Bella was going to die anyway. Bella's screaming stopped as Eliza reached in and felt around for the baby, pulling out a little girl. Edward let out a noise of disbelief at the sight of his daughter, the small being crying out for the first time. "Hi." Eliza smiled at the baby, whose eyes were opened wide as Eliza wrapped her. "It's Renesmee." Edward looked towards Bella as Eliza carefully passed Renesmee off to Edward. "You're beautiful." Bella gasped out as Edward handed the little girl off to her mom.

Bella's body was at its weakest and the slight weight of the baby cracked multiple ribs. Renesmee cried loudly at the sound as Edward quickly pulled the small baby back into his arms. "Bella." Eliza took notice of the damage that the weight caused as Bella's face sunk and her eyes went blank. Edward shoved the small girl into Eliza's arms as he and Jacob tried to get Bella to respond, but she was too far gone. Jacob began CPR and Edward began searching Carlisle's drawers for his venom. Making sure Eliza wasn't in the way, the blonde left the room to go rinse off the extra blood.

"Hi, baby girl." Eliza smiled down at the baby girl as she carefully rinsed her under the sink, avoiding her eyes. Eliza could hear the commotion from the other room and she knew something went wrong when Jacob stormed out of the house. Eliza finished washing the baby's body and took a small wet rag to gently wash the blood off her face. Eliza wrapped Renesmee in a towel and dried off her body before laying her in a small pink blanket. Eliza held the infant close to her body as she went out to check on her mate. 

"Jake." Eliza called out softly and the shifter looked up from his fetal position, tears falling down his face. "Get that thing away from me!" Jacob growled at the small creature in the arms of his mate. Seth looked at Jacob with pity before moving toward the house, hoping to help. Seth joined Eliza on the balcony and offered to hold Renesmee so that Eliza could go comfort Jacob. Eliza understood why Seth offered but she was weary to let the small baby go. "She's cute." Seth glanced down at the little girl in Eliza's arms, her small eyes closed tight. 

"Yeah, she is." Eliza laughed as Renesmee opened her eyes at the sound of Eliza's voice. Seth's eyes met Renesmee's and Eliza grew worried when she heard the shifter take in a deep breath. "Seth?" Eliza turned toward the young shifter and Jacob immediately stood when he heard the concern in her voice. "Did you just-" Eliza's eyes widened when she saw the same dumbfounded look on Seth's face that Jacob once looked at her with.

Jacob's attention was no longer on his mate when he heard the wolves come barely through the woods less than a mile away. "Eliza, get inside." Jacob immediately yelled out to his mate as he quickly shifted into his wolf form. Alice, Jasper, Rosalie, and Edward ran out of the home, joining the wolf in the front yard, prepared to fight. Eliza rushed toward the balcony door but paused when she saw Seth stay behind. The blonde was in the house safely, but let the door open in worry for the youngest shifter. The wolves attacked and the rest of the Cullens emerged from their hunt in time to help. 

"Stop!" Seth finally broke out of his trance, shouting out in protest. Seth was ignored as Sam snuck past the Cullens and made his way for the balcony. Seth sensed the danger that Renesmee and Eliza were in and phased as he jumped off the balcony and in front of his former Alpha. Sam stopped the attack as the two wolves stared at each other, snarling and growling. Eliza wearily stepped back outside, closer to the balcony stairs, and Jacob's wolf stood protectively in front of the staircase. "Seth imprinted." Edward shared with everyone who was unaware as the boy's small sandy wolf snarled at Sam's large black one. 

"They can't hurt her, whoever a wolf imprints on can't be harmed, it's their most absolute law." Edward explain to the Cullens and Eliza was reminded of the scratch etched into her skin. Sam backed down at Edward's words and Seth stopped growling when he realized the danger had subsided. Sam stepped back from Seth and with one nod, the wolves took off back into the woods.