xxvii.

EDITED

Time continued on and as Eliza was experimenting with Jacob's theory as Renesmee kept growing at an alarming rate. Eliza stood a few feet away from Jacob, while Carlisle also stood in the room. Eliza's eyes were closed as she focused on her mate's heartbeat. Carlisle watched intently as Eliza tried to force her own frozen heart to mimic her mate's warm one. Bella entered the house, breaking Eliza's concentration as Seth and Renesmee followed. Practice was cancelled by the look on Bella's face, the newborn vampire told the family of how the three ran into Irina.

"Tanya convinced Irina to come reconcile with us." Carlisle hung up the phone after he had reached out to the Denali Coven. "Well, it looks like she changed her mind." Edward pointed out the part where she ran away. "Seeing Seth must have been too much for her." Eliza defended the woman. "I wish I could've just spoken to her." Bella sighed in defeat. "She's family, she'll come around." Carlisle encouraged Bella from his seat on the couch, wrapping his arm around Esme.

The atmosphere changed as Edward moved to play a few keys on the piano, Renesmee copying him. Eliza watched the small child in admiration as she played piano with her father. The blonde relaxed into her mate's arms, the music soothing the blonde as she allowed her eyes to shut. Jacob picked up on the sound of a heartbeat immediately, shock and pride hitting him. "Eliza" he whispered, trying not to break the girl's focus as he heard the light thumping. The blonde let out a sound of acknowledgement, opening her eyes when she got no response.

Turning her head, she saw the expression on Jacob's face as he focused in on her beating chest. Her own eyes widened as she could feel the small thump of her heart. The pair smiled at each other, amazed at the new proven revelation. The music stopped as Renesmee finished the song and Eliza jumped when the sound of a vase crashing to the floor came from her left. Alice had dropped the vase on her way into the living room, her face straight as she was struck by a vision.

"What is it, Alice?" Jasper immediately went to his mate's side as the family turned their attention to the vampire. "The Volturi, they're coming for us." Alice looked from Jasper to the alarmed coven. "Aro, Caius, Marcus, the Guard...and Irina." Alice looked down at Renesme and Bella immediately moved for her daughter to join her side. "Why?" Eliza looked at Alice in confusion, not understanding the sudden change of the Volturi's plan. "What did Irina see in the woods?" Edward looked to his wife for any information. "We were just walking." Bella didn't think much of the memory.

"Ness was catching snowflakes." Seth spoke up and Edward immediately investigated his memory of the scene. "Of course." Edward sighed as he realized what happened, but he was the only one. "Irina thinks Renesmee's an immortal child." Edward explained to his wife and family when they all looked at him expectantly. "The immortal children were very beautiful, so enchanting, to be near them was to love them." Carlisle had pulled out an old book to explain the situation to Bella and the shifters.

"But their development was frozen at the age they were turned, they couldn't be taught or restrained. A single tantrum could destroy a village, the humans heard about the devastation, stories spread. The Volturi were forced to intervene." Carlisle continued to explain the situation as Bella flipped through the old book. "Since the children couldn't protect our secret, they had to be destroyed. Their creators grew very attached and fought to protect them. Long established Covens were torn apart, countless humans slaughtered. Traditions, families, friends even lost." Carlisle's words struck sorrow in the hearts of those in the room.

"So, the Denali's mother made an immortal child?" Bella looked up at Carlisle as he explained to her the story. "Yes." Eliza confirmed as she remembered the story the Denali's had told her in the past. "And she paid the price." Carlisle added as he informed Bella of the terms of their mother's death. "Well, Renesmee's nothing like those children. She was born, not bitten, she grows every single day." Bella was angry at the assumption that her daughter was a monster.

"So can't you just explain that to the Volturi?" Jacob questioned Carlisle, not understanding how the Volturi worked. "Aro has enough proof in Irina's thoughts." Edward shook his head as he replayed the look on Irina's face. "So, we fight." Jacob shrugged from behind Eliza, not wanting to give in to a threat. "Their offensive weapons are too powerful. No one can stand against Jane." Jasper spoke up this time, remembering their trip the year before. "Alec's even worse." Alice pointed out the danger of the twins. "Well, then we convince them." Bella argued for her daughter's life, agreeing with Jacob's idea to fight. "They're coming to kill us, not to talk." Emmett denied the option.

"No, you're right. They won't listen to us, but maybe other can convince them." Edward proposed. "Carlisle, you have friends all around the world." Edward looked to the man for help. "I won't ask them to fight." Carlisle immediately denied with a shake of his head. "Not fight, witness." Edward tried to justify. "If enough people knew the truth, maybe we could convince the Volturi to listen." Seth looked at the family with pleading eyes. "We can ask this of our friends." Esme reached out and placed her hand on Carlisle's arm. Carlisle debated the idea before sighing and giving a nod of approval. 

"Alright, let's get this show on the road." Jacob rounded the corner the next day as each couple planned a road trip to ask for witnesses. Jacob's determination was interrupted when he took notice of Sam through the living room window. Eliza and Jacob cautiously made their way back outside, the Cullens following. "Alice asked me to give you that." Sam handed over a handwritten note to Carlisle.

"She and Jasper crossed our lands to the ocean last night." Sam explained from beside Jacob and Eliza.. "Carlisle." Esme looked for confirmation of what the letter said. "They've left us." Carlisle folded the note in his hand. "Why?" Eliza furrowed her eyebrows as she worried about what this meant. "She didn't say." Carlisle shrugged as he fiddled with the piece of paper. "Can I see that?" Bella motioned to inspect the note, wanting some clue behind the sudden loss.