Chapter 14

The next day was my birthday. Normally, I was very excited and energetic on my birthdays. Today, however, I was terrified. I kept thinking of the note and how it said I would be in for a real "surprise ".

I came down the steps that morning. My parents had made me breakfast. A fresh glass of orange juice sat on the table next to a plate of peanut butter and jelly French toast. It was my favorite breakfast.

"Happy Birthday, Honey." my Mom said.

"Thank you!!" I said trying to cheer up. I began eating my breakfast.

"So I know today you have school, and we are both working tonight....I was wondering if it would be ok to have your birthday dinner tomorrow?" my Mom asked.

"Sure, I don't mind ...really." I said.

I quickly ate my meal and drinked the orange juice.

"Ok, then it is set. Tomorrow we will go out for dinner!" my Mom said cheerfully.

I smiled, trying to hide my nervousness. I got up and grabbed my backpack.

"You have a good day at school, Honey. I love you!" she said.

"Love you too!" I said as I walked out the door.

My school day was pretty easy. Even Mrs. Anderson was nice to me today. I still was nervous and on guard. I headed off to last period. Mr. Kent was grading papers as usual. He wished me Happy Birthday as I walked in the door.

I thanked him and I started on my English project. I stopped whe. all of a sudden I heard the local news playing. I looked to see Mr. Kent on his computer watching something.

"Uhh.... Genevieve come look at this ..."

I got up, on the computer screen it showed a police department. The doors were barricaded and several men stood at the entrances and exits. I looked closely and noticed it was the same guys who had tried attacking me in here. They were holding police men hostage. Several had already been killed. I had to stop them.

"Mr. Kent, I have to go! Can you please cover for me?" I asked.

"Sure, just be careful Genevieve." he warned.

"I will."

I transformed and flew out the window. When I arrived, news teams tried following me. I ignored them. I landed on the roof of the police department. The men guarding the entrances and exits began firing at me. I used my blade nails to cut through the roof. I took the roofing and whipped it at the men as I jumped in. I landed in complete darkness, where was I? I felt around, there was a door. I opened it, to find that I had been in a storage closet. I walked into one room, a suited man held one officer hostage there. He darted at me, only for me to grab him and throw him into a wall. I grabbed the police officer and got him out of there. I barricaded the door with a desk I found in the nieghboring room.

"Thank you Atomic Woman" the officer stated.

"No problem, where are the others?" I asked.

"They are in the interrogation room."

I went to sprint there when I heard him yell 'Stop!' I turned around.

"You cant just go in there empty handed."

"Huh?"

He lead me to a room. He opened a drawer that was to the right of us. "Here's some tazer guns... that should knock them down."

"Genius!" I said. He smiled.

"Go ahead, I will get an exit open for you. There is back up coming to help us." he explained.

I nodded as I turned invisibility on. I heard talking behind the door of the interrogation room. I knocked down the door. The men jumped up, looking for me. The one man held a gun up to an officer. I used my magnetism powers to grab the gun from him and smacked the gun upside his head. He fell down.

"Come out Atomic Woman!!!!" yelled the one man.

"We arent afraid to kill, we already killed 3 officers...why don't we make it 4 or 5?" he said. I looked to see the three officers dead on the ground. Those men were somebody's son, uncle, father, or brother. This angered me that they would kill. The two men in suits held their guns out towards the 2 remaining officers.

Before they could pull the trigger, I swiped their guns away from them. I pulled the two tazer guns out and shot the both them. I watched as their bodies twitched as the electrical current went through them. I felt no sympathy for these murderer's. I deactivated my invisibility. The two officers looked at me with thankfulness.

"Do you have any blankets?" I asked.

The officers gave me an odd look at the randomness of the question.

"Yes." one replied.

"Can you get me 3 of them." I asked.

They nodded and went to another room to get them. They came back and handed them to me. I walked over to each of the dead officers and wrapped their bodies in a blanket to cover them. I lifted one of the bodies. The other 2 grabbed the remaining 2. I slowly walked out of the building. The news people flashed pictures at us. I was glad that I had covered their bodies with blankets out of respect for their families. Everyone was silent. The crowd cleared the way for the 2 officers and I. The news stopped taking pictures. It began to rain.

The back up cops were just ahead of us. I set the body gently on the ground in front of them. The other 2 officers did the same. I kneeled down and prayed for a second, asking God to bless their souls and families. Just as I was about to leave, I watched as the two suited men I tazered slowly walk out of the building. The officers fired at them. They landed on the ground dying. I walked up to the suited men.

"Why did you do this?!" I asked.

"Its just a part of the surprise!" said the one man weakly.

I knew this was too easy. There was more to the "surprise?"

He chuckled, "consider this just a destraction."

"you're sick!" I yelled in disgust. Both of the men smiled and died right there.

I looked up at the crowd. The news cast began holding microphones and cameras up to me. "We lost good men today....to sick and disgusting people. I am disgusted with some people, yes we all have disagreements. Sometimes we don't get along with people, or life is rough....but there is no excuse to kill."

I looked up towards the sky and jetted off away from the scene. By the time I got to school. Class had ended. I drove my car home. "What were those men distracting me from?" I thought to myself. I kept thinking of those poor officers.

"Happy Birthday to me." I said in a sad, sarcastic tone.