18

Kaili took a quick trip to Paradise Manor to consult Wei Wuxian. He was known for being knowledgeable about talismans and charms. Kaili wanted to have a second opinion on the talisman that she found in Xichen's robes.

"Kaili, you have returned, and that spark in your eye has returned as well," San Lang said.

Kaili smiled, "I am feeling a lot better, and a lot happier...I actually came to ask Wei Wuxian a question," she said.

"What can I do for you?" He asked.

Kaili fished out the talisman from her robes and handed it to Wei Wuxian, "I found out that this talisman was sewn into Lan Xichen's robes. I saw it was a mind altering talisman but I am not an expert on them so I thought I'd ask you about it," Kaili said.

Wuxian took a look at the talisman, "mind altering? Are you telling me the only reason Lan Xichen was hateful towards you was because this talisman was on his robes?" He asked.

Kaili nodded, "I didn't realize it until now but I found them last night. I was visiting him to see him one last time before leaving when I felt the effects of it since it was getting stronger. This talisman, from what I understand, is specifically made for Xichen to change his mind about me, make him dislike me. It started shortly after the incident with Jin Guangyao. We both suspect it to be him but without proof, we are at a loss...is there a way to trace the main source of the talisman? Like who made it?"

"It is possible but that takes a good hour to accomplish," Wuxian said, "but Xichen is not hurting you now?"

"No...I am with him again and we are working out who might have done this," she said.

"And A'Yuan?" Wuxian asked.

"He will not remember that I was ever his spiritual companion, he will only remember me as his friend that visited him at the Jingshi all the time," she said, "he still has the scale which I can use to track him as well so he will always be safe."

"Thanks for being considerate for him," Wuxian said then looked back at the talisman in his hand, "did you ask Xichen where he gets his robes from?"

"He said the sect gets their fabrics from two different locations, a place in Lanling and a place in Gusu. So whoever is doing it has access to the sect's wardrobe department," Kaili said.

"Jin Guangyao is from Lanling or lived there right?" Wuxian asked.

"If you remember, Jin Guangyao is the illegitimate son of Jin Guangshan. Jin Guangyao is actually a suspect in framing you as well," Kaili said.

"Why do you say so?" Wuxian asked.

"Jin Guangyao is an heir to the Jin sect. With Jin Zixuan and Jin Zixun still alive, he would not have become the sect leader if something happened to Jin Guangshan. Aside from Jin Ling, as he is still a toddler, Jin Guangyao would become Xiandu and sect leader of the Lanling Jin sect if something happened to Jin Guangshan. It was also said that he and Jin Guangshan left the battlefield at Nightless City that night. It was Jin Guangyao who convinced the others to invite you to Jin Ling's one month celebration and he hoped you'd hand over your Yin Hu Fu in the process," Kaili explained.

Everything that Kaili just said made a lot of sense. With Jin Zixuan and Jin Zixun dead, Jin Guangyao is next in line. Wei Wuxian also remembered hearing Jin Zixuan say that he heard from Jin Guangyao that an ambush was taking place at Qionqi Path.

"It has to be him," Wuxian said as he started to piece everything together, "but I do not think he acted alone."

"I do not know either, what I do know is Jin Guangyao was locked in the dungeons in Gusu at one point and he suddenly disappeared. It was when I pointed out that he had some resentment present with him. Lan Xichen was going to question him along with Xie Lian and San Lang but Jin Guangyao was gone," Kaili explained.

"Resentment?" Wuxian asked, "how much, do you remember?"

"I couldn't tell, it was like he had it suppressed. I could tell that if it wasn't suppressed then it would be very strong and dangerous. I have been around different types of resentment but from the little bit that he had coming from him, it was enough to know it was malicious," Kaili answered.

Wuxian sighed, "can I keep this talisman here so I can look further into it?"

"Sure, I should probably get back to Xichen anyway, I just wanted to ask you about it," Kaili said.

"I know this is a big ask, but if you do have time, can you look into Jin Ling and Jiang Cheng? I know Jiang Cheng may hate me but Jin Ling is the last thing left of my Shijie," Wuxian asked.

"Of course I can," Kaili told him.

"Thank you, and I will be back to Gusu in about a month," Wuxian said, "don't tell Lan Zhan though. I want to surprise him."

"Sure, I can do that," Kaili said and stood up, "I will see you all later."

"Bye Kaili," they said and Kaili teleported back to Cloud Recesses.

She was automatically taken to the Hanshi and shifted to her snake form. Upon arriving, Nie Mingjue and Nie Huaisang were there talking about Jin Guangyao and other important issues. Kaili decided to have a little bit of fun and slithered between Nie Mingjue and Nie Huaisang. As she slithered into the desk and went to her spot, Nie Huaisang jumped several feet back as he was not expecting her to just appear like that. He also forgot she was a snake to begin with.

"Huaisang, it is just Kaili, what are you squealing like a little girl for?" Mingjue asked.

"How does she not frighten you from time to time?" Huaisang asked.

"Huaisang, she is actually very friendly. Not just in her human form but also this form. She conserves her energy easier by being in her snake form. Plus, I think she is a beautiful snake," Xichen explained, "she is good at sensing danger so you are actually really safe around her...she does have a playful and mischievous personality at times though."

"I feel like because she is yours, you are obligated to say such nice words about her," Huaisang said pouting.

"You are fine," Mingjue said, "see she is just coiled up here minding her own business. She is looking this way as if she if paying attention but she looks like she will not bother anyone."

"She won't, she is probably just tired," Xichen said as he poured some water and placed it in front of Kaili, "are you thirsty, you need to take in more water after extracting your venom."

"You did what now?" Nie Huaisang asked.

"Venom extraction, so if someone gets bit by her, there is her venom to make an anti-venom," he replied.

Nie Huaisang paled.

"You should tell Huaisang that if he continues to be afraid of me I can let him be the test subject for the anti-venom. It's been a while since I have bitten anyone," Kaili said.

Xichen laughed causing Mingjue and Huaisang to be a bit confused, "I can communicate with her mentally. She was making a comment. She said if Huaisang wants to continue to be afraid of her she could use him as a test subject for the anti-venom as it has been a while since she has bitten anyone."

"You said she was nice!" Huaisang said shocked.

Mingjue actually laughed, "I like this snake, she is playful."

"That she is," Xichen agreed.

"You guys are terrible," Huaisang said, "why must you do this to me?"

"We have done nothing," Mingjue said, "you are fine."

Huaisang sighed and just kept watch over Kaili as he was nervous that she would do something to him. Kaili laughed internally as she make Huaisang paranoid.