13

An ominous silence had fallen upon Beau, the rush of the traumatising moment ceased as the harsh wind was muffled by what seemed to be his own mind, playing tricks on him. He blinked under the soft sun, his blurred vision catching a moving silhouette walking - or swaying oddly - towards him.

The shadow grew nearer, forming the body of a person, and suddenly their smile was the first thing he noticed. Wavering like a flickering light, hazy to Beau who was trying all he could to focus.

"Beau," They whispered and it sounded so faint the soft breeze almost took it away. "I think it's time to run."

Beau squinted, trying to clear his vision. "Run from what?"

Confusion permeated his body like a tidal wave and yet his surroundings appeared hauntingly familiar somehow.

The person chuckled softly; whimsically. "Who said there was something to run from? I just want to feel free for a moment, don't you?" The voice seemed to move from a distance to right beside his ear, muttered only for him like a secret from a child. 

Beau wished it remained beside him forever.

"Free. What does it feel like?" 

"Like the wind." They reached up and caressed Beau's cheek tenderly, "Like the lover's touch, you know so well."

Beau closed his eyes and sighed in bliss just thinking about it. "Five."

Suddenly, blue eyes became so bright staring back at him, longing and melancholic. They were almost as cloudy as the sky above them but as bright as the boy they belonged to.

"For me that was you," Jude confessed.

Lowering his head, Beau felt shame creeping up on him. "Blue, please." He didn't do enough.

"It's okay. It was never supposed to be us, that was just an accident, my existence a mere drop in the everlasting ocean that is you."

"Don't say that."

"You'll be fine. And I'll be right here-" He pulled away to look around their surroundings, so familiar and special to just the two of them. "Whenever you need me."

Beau shook his head. "It's too soon."

"You mend yourself whenever you're able, Beau Hargreeves, I don't want to see you dwelling or drowning in your own sorrow. That's not the strong person I have come to admire."

"You admire a fool."

"I admire a person who has done more good than he will ever know. You are so kind and gentle and loving..." His pretty eyes filled with tears and Beau couldn't help the emotion in his own. "I couldn't have asked for a better saviour."

"I don't- I didn't-"

"But you did, Beau, you did save me. You gave me the best year of my life, I felt safe for the first time in so long and it was all because of you." 

"You deserved it all and more."

"You also made me realise that very thing too. I never thought I was enough." Jude smiled and it was so pure. "But I am, aren't I? Just as I am."

"You will always be enough."

"I think you need to believe your own words too." Jude gave a knowing look before turning his attention to the water behind him, crashing rhythmically against the shore like it always did. He suddenly appeared regretful but not uncertain, no, he was ready for something. "I have to go."

And there it was, those words piercing at Beau's heart.

"No." The raven-haired male grabbed the arm of the curly-haired boy and pulled him tight against his chest, not daring to let go for even a moment. "No, don't go. Please."