Chapter 11

As soon as I heard Mikey's name, I dropped my phone onto the passenger's seat and drove back to my house at a record-breaking speed, making it to my driveway in five minutes. I threw the front door open so hard that it slammed into the wall some of the paint chipped off.

"Mikey!" I yell into the house.

"We're up here!" Frank called from upstairs. I darted up the staircase and into Mikey's bathroom, and what I saw will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Mikey was laying on the bathroom floor, unconscious, holding an empty pill bottle, which I soon realized was my anti-depressants.

"I-I found him... like this... I called an ambulance, and they s-should be here in a minute," Frank mumbled. I could tell he was crying. I fell to the floor on my knees and grabbed Mikey's hand, which was slowly getting cold. I was reminded of Lindsey in the hospital, how her skin was loosing heat... just like this.

"Mikey..." I muttered, almost a whisper. "I swear to god, Mikey, you better not die now." I heard sirens getting louder, and knew the ambulance was here. I picked Mikey up and carried him downstairs. Paramedics rolled a gurney through the door and took Mikey from my arms.

"Sir, what happened?" One of the paramedics asked, holding a clipboard.

"I-I went to drop a friend off somewhere... and my friend... F-Frank... he found Mikey," I gestured to my brother, "On the bathroom floor... he had a bottle of anti-depressants, so I'm guessing he took them all," I explained in a shaky voice.

"What's the name of the medicine?"

"Xantax."

"Okay, what relationship do you have to him?"

"I'm.. I'm his brother. Can I please ride in the ambulance with him?"

"Of course. Get in." Frank showed up next to me.

"You can take my car," I told Frank. He'd driven it before, so I trusted him.

"Is this the same hospital that I was at?" Frank asked. I nodded. "Okay, I'll be there soon." I nodded again before darting out the door and climbing into the ambulance.

-

"Mikey Way?" A doctor asked. I shot up from my chair, woke my mom up, and we walked across the room to see the doctor.

"How bad is it?" I asked in the same shaky voice that I've been talking in since we got here.

"Mikey's going to be okay. We pumped his stomach, so the only real after-effect left is emotional instability, so we're keeping him in a medically induced coma for a few days, until we know he's no longer on shaky grounds." I let out a sigh of relief. He's okay. "However, I need to ask a question." My ears perked up. "Does your family have a history of mental illness?" He asked us both.

"I've been diagnosed with depression, insomnia and OCD," I replied.

"Thank you," He scrawled something down. "Before we put him under, we asked why he took them," The doctor sighed, "And he said it was a suicide attempt." My breathe hitched, and it became difficult to breathe, but I nodded in understanding.

"Can we see him?" My mom asked.

"Yes, you can," Replied the doctor. Mom looked at me.

"Y-you can go first," I told her.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yeah. I'll just be in the waiting room with Frank." She just nodded and followed the doctor down the hall, and I walked back to my chair. I sat down next to Frank, who lifted his head from the wall it was resting on and looked at me.

"Did you get any news?" He asked.

"The doctor said it was a, um, a suicide attempt..." I looked down at my lap.

"Oh my god... do you know why?"

"I never really noticed anything... god, I'm such an idiot. He's my fucking brother! I should have seen that something was wrong!"

"Gee, it's okay," Frank reached over and pulled me into a hug. "A lot of people make it really difficult for their problems to be seen, Gee. It's not your fault. It's nobody's fault."

"I just want him to be okay..." I muttered into Frank's shoulder.

"I can't say that he's going to be okay any time soon, Gerard. He's gonna need time and forgiveness, more than anything. You have to give him that, Gee."

"Okay," I nodded, my chin resting on his shoulder.

"Gerard?" My mom asked as she walked back into the waiting room, looking exhausted. I just nodded, smiling at Frank before getting up and walking down the hall to Mikey's room, but the doctor stopped me.

"He's awake as of now, but he'll be in a medical coma for about three days after this visit," The doctor informed.

"Thank you," I gave a weak smile before walking to Mikey's room.

Mikey was sitting up in his hospital bed, fiddling with the sheets, looking like he had just done something horrible. He looked up when I opened the door, giving me a smile that looked like it could shatter at any second.

"Hey, Mikes," I said in a soothing, gentle voice as I sat down in the chair by his bed.

"I'm so sorry, Gee..." Mikey apologized, shaking his head. "I'm such an idiot... I shouldn't have-"

"Hey," I stood up and climbed into the bed next to him, pulling him into a tight, protective hug and running my fingers through his hair. "Don't apologize. You have nothing to feel guilty about."

"Y-yes I do, Gerard," He was crying, his voice shaking almost as much as his body. "I shouldn't have tried to-"

"Mikey, nobody's at fault, here." He didn't say anything. I sighed. "Do you remember... when I used to drink?" I felt him nod. "You were so forgiving and patient with me, because that's what I needed to get sober and stay that way. And that's what I'm going to to here. I'm upset, sure. You're my brother. But that's not the point. I'm not leaving your side, Mikey. You've got what you need to get through whatever comes next. Alright?"

"...okay, Gerard."

"Did they tell you what they're going to do?"

"They're putting me under for a few days so I can sleep through some of the effects of the Xantax. After that, the doctor said I would be evaluated and possibly put in an inpatient hospital. That's all I know. I don't know when I get to go home. I'm scared, Gee."

"I know, Mikey," I hugged him tighter. "It's going to be okay."

"I love you, Gee."

"I love you too, Mikes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HE'S NOT DEAD

HE'S NOT DEAD

GUYS

HE'S ALIVE

~XoChase