16. The history of humans, Graie and Nephilim part I

That's not much of a choice. Ronan felt his shoulders droop as he thought about the implications of what Eloï'inda had told him. All in all, he felt ill prepared for the task of deciding anything. Pinching himself in his arm, with the sting of pain came the realization that he was, in fact, not dreaming. Losing his cool, he was happy to be sitting, because his knees felt like jelly. Groaning, he put his hands in front of his eyes. This was worse than anything he had imagined. She basically told him that if he left, he would die. That was not alluring in the slightest. He wanted to live. There was so much he still had a desire to do. So many people he would leave behind. And the first thing this woman did was to make it his own decision what would happen. So that he would have no one else to blame if he chose to walk blindly into that darkest of nights. Somehow, it also stung him that if he left, not only he would die, but Tiar'Mara as well. This so-called connection meant little to him, but now that he had seen her, it was undeniable that the thought of her demise was unexpectedly painful to him.

He put pressure on his eyelids with his fingertips, and on the brink of maybe losing it, thought about the life he had lived. Always, I wanted to learn all there was to learn. Why do fish swim and wherefrom the flower's fragrance? I read, I wondered and wandered. Now I desire ignorance, and cannot have it. Anguished, he looked up at Eloï'inda, who met his glance with a blank stare. "You are a cruel woman."

She actually flinched a little at this remark. "I do what is necessary."

He stared at her for a few seconds. Then, with heavy heart, said to her: "If I am to have anything to do with you, I need to know more about you. Much more. Tell me your story." Ominously, he felt as if he had signed his own death warrant with that single request. Every detail he learned, every moment he stayed, would be like an ever broadening chasm between his situation and things going back to how they should be. With lithe grace, Eloï'inda walked over, and sat herself down in front of him. "Are you tired?" What a question. "Yes, I am tired. I have had a bit of a rough day you know." "I understand." She spoke softly, her eyes drifting to a soft purple. I can't discern if she's nice or just sly. Those coloring eyes should make her pretty transparent, but I just don't know.

She extended a finger towards him, lightly touching him, an act to which she seemed to have few objections. He flinched. Moments later, a rush of relief flowed through his body. Some of his stress and anxiety and almost all of his wariness vanished. Eloï'inda stooped a little, but immediately straightened herself again, without any visible effects. "What did you do?" Ronan asked awe-struck. Then suspicion edged its way back in. "Could you stay out of my feelings please?"

She unexpectedly let out a full bellied laugh, clear and high pitched, and he felt a wave of warmth come over him.

"What did I just say?!"

"Sorry Ronan, I can't help that. We have this strengthening effect on emotions sometimes, much as the leaves can't help but be green. Compared to what happens when you unexpectedly meet a male member of our species, it's actually a rather mellow phenomenon. You'll learn to guard yourself against it or get used to it soon enough. Only the most hopeless cases have to wait for age to take care of the worst of it. I did no more than take over some of your wariness. It was the most direct and confined connection I could make. It doesn't matter. You need to be attentive to what I am going to tell you."

He didn't understand, but that was beginning to feel normal to him at this point, so he let it be. For now. He focused his attention, and patiently waited for her to start her story. She frowned at him.

"I said I would tell you about what we are, but if you are so guarded against me I fear that we won't get anywhere."

He shrugged.

"Trust is earned."

She thoughtfully tapped her chin.

"So it is. Very well. Considering the extraordinary circumstances, I'll put a bit more oomph behind this than I normally would. Be so kind as to not be alarmed."