21. training part III

He got up and started walking to where he had put the swamp-skimmer. He had brought a few provisions for this first day. The test didn't officially start until tomorrow, as it was to last exactly seven days. And he certainly wasn't going to voluntarily lengthen his tribulations. It's going to be one heck of a week anyway. Actually, he wasn't sure he could claim to have completed the test if he was in the company of two Graie for the entire time, even though one of them was down for the count. As he walked, he thought about one thing Eloïn'inda had said. About the balance of the swamp. Maybe that is why the alligator attacked us earlier. There are few things worse than a delicate system out of balance, and its residents could very well notice it. Unconsciously his gaze shifted to the carcasses of the alligators on the beach, mere meters away from his swamp-skimmer. Depletion of energy eh? I bet they didn't experience it that way.

The swamp-skimmer still lay exactly as he had left it a few hours ago. The trail in the sand was still there. The reflection of the water projected little flowing waves of light on its polished side. But the island wasn't the same any more. Unbelievably soft grass bended away underneath his feet, and an incredible amount of flowers scented the air. His nose should have become desensitized to the smell long ago, but it hadn't. Even the leaves of the bush he passed by were now red and alien. Alien but beautiful. He sighed as he squatted next to his boat and retrieved the sack with provisions. Bread, salted fish, cheese, a carrot and some water. He would have to boil water from now on before he could drink it. It wasn't much, but hunger makes the best sauce. He took his blanket as well. Holding both bundles under a different arm, he turned around and started the short walk back.

I haven't even made any preparations for the night. That's going to be just my blanket, the stars and a prayer for a warm and rainless night then. How does Eloï'inda manage it? As he returned she was still sitting in the same position, but she was no longer caressing Tiar'mara's hair. He opened his mouth to ask her, but the words stuck in his throat as she pointed her eyes at him. Both the sack with provisions and his blanket dropped on the ground. Her eyes were glowing yellow like a cat's in the fading light. "Wow, you are certainly not short of surprises are you?" She raised her eyebrows for a moment. Then she smiled and her eyes stopped gleaming. "Does that unsettle you? I am afraid that bigger surprises await you in the future." Don't I know it. "No it's fine. It just caught me of guard." It caught him off guard again when they flared up again, this time with a reddish glow. Of course. "I suspect you'll be able to do it soon enough, Ronan. Already, your body is adjusting to its new constellation." He shuddered.

"Shouldn't we maybe make a fire or something? Is that okay, or do these red-leaved plants catch fire easily? I'm sure you've already found out that it can become quite chilly at night at the riverside, even in the summer." "An excellent idea Ronan, there is a stack of firewood behind that tree" she said while pointing at what was probably the biggest tree of the island. It was now only a vague shape in the last rays of light that fled the place where the sun was drowning at the horizon. The island wasn't as small as he had initially thought from his dream. It was a good 30 meters long. He touched the alien tree as he passed it. The bark on the trunk at least felt rough and familiar. Reaching the stack of firewood, he surmised it was definitely sufficient to get them through the night. He squatted and let his finger glide over the branches, and to his surprise found that they were dry and sturdy, as if they had been stored away for years already. This is good firewood.

With his arms full of branches, he stumbled back to the remaining bald patch on the island, scraping his wrists and dropping a few branches along the way. He had no intention of walking twice. Rapidly, he built the basis for a medium sized camp fire, then glanced in the direction of Eloï'inda's glowing eyes. "This is going to take a while to ignite, I'm not even sure I can do it in the dark." "Don't worry. If you would please step away from the pile." He did so without comment, and was barely even spooked when the branches spontaneously ignited. He had half suspected the flames to be green. An almost coquettish looking Eloïn'inda appeared in the growing fire's light.

A bit depressed, he sat down to finally enjoy some dinner. "You sure you don't want some?" he mumbled in Eloïn'inda's direction as he started chewing on his first mouthful of bread. "No thank you Ronan. But it is kind of you." Her eyes had returned to what he regarded as their 'normal' state: a soft blue, with hints of purple. She seemed calm enough, considering her agitated state from earlier today. "Teacher, why are you here?" He felt his chest clench together, as he was now asking questions whose answers he might not like.

"Are you sure you wish to know that at this moment Ronan?" she said as she studied him. "Haven't you had your share of fantastic and sad stories for one day?" He swallowed a bite and cleared his throat. "I wouldn't be able to sleep before I've at least a general idea of why you are here. You being my teacher for now is all well and good – I'll call you mistress if you like, but I would like to know if we are, or if anyone else from my village is in danger." She nodded, then her eyes glazed over as she stared into the flames. Ronan wondered if the flames meant anything to her, or if she was just seeing energy being let loose. "Your village is safe for the moment I think. At least as safe as it would ever be. We on the other hand, not so much." Her expressionless face told him that he was in for a new story, this time regrettably involving him.