Chapter 7: A Mug's Journey Home

December 26, 11:40 am.

Your eyes cracked open.

You were still tired, much too tired to be awake. Sitting up you looked over at your phone, the time shining brightly.

You frowned.

You had work today.

But first, a cup of coffee on the balcony sounded great.

Climbing from your bed you shuffled into your kitchen, mentally beating yourself up for the mess you left last night. Pots and a salad bowl occupied your sink, along with cooking utensils. But it was worth it, dinner was good and, shockingly, so was the company.

Your face warmed at the memory.

You barely knew him, but something about him... He was just... Mysterious.

Tamara was right. Not that you'd ever tell her that. You'd rather get shot in the foot.

The second the coffee pot gave a soft ding you opened the cupboard, looking around at its contents. You settled on your second favourite mug, it was a light orange with little cartoony oranges and little daisies painted on the outside. It originally came in a set of four, all of them different fruits. But through moving you lost one, and one was back in the States with your mum, a piece of you to remember. You were lucky enough a few years ago to find a strawberry one that matched the set, but you couldn't find it for the life of you.

The hot liquid in the ceramic felt amazing in your hands, warming the chill out of them.

The second you stepped outside you suckes in a sharp inhale of air.

God, it was cold.

You sat down, taking a large sip of the, still piping hot, coffee, smiling at the way it warmed you inside.

Then you saw it.

The cute little mug sitting on the metal foldout chair on Simon's balcony.

A smile crept across your face as you shuffled over and crouched down, picking up the pastel mug with little strawberries on it by the handle and sliding it through the sets of metal bars that separate the balconies.

Inside was a note, neatly folded and weighed down with a pocket knife in case it got windy.

You turned the knife over in your hands. It was a dark green on the handle and flipping out the blade revealed the shiny dark grey blade. It was hefty, and you would have to return it to Simon when you saw him next.

You closed it quickly and dropped it in the pocket of your sweatpants.

The note.

When you opened it you were shocked at how oddly beautiful the handwriting was.

Here's your cup back. I couldn't get it to you earlier, I've not been home.

I appreciate the dinner last night. You'll have to give me the recipe.

~S.

The fact he signed the note like a Bond villain made you smile. Further down the page, you noticed a number written neatly.

Your face warmed.

He gave you his number, with a small scribble of 'in case of emergency'.

You felt giddy.

You stood up quickly and dashed back into your apartment and over to your laptop.

Tamara and Gabbie would not believe this.

___

Late chapter, sorry. Also my least favourite so far lmao. I was planning to update sooner but then I started the Dead By Daylight grind, and it quickly became my new obsession.

I'll probably end up writing for it as well haha.

In other news, I am making Character.AI bots that will accompany my stories, if y'all are interested in those!

I will also be publishing the other drabbles that I've been working on, and maybe opening requests? We'll see.

Sorry for the long author's note 💀 ily.