Chapter 14: Balcony

March 5, 3:47 pm.

The cool wind of cresting spring kissed at your cheeks as it whipped by, a quick greeting before it was gone again.

It was finally warm enough in Manchester to sit on the balcony without a jacket and a blanket, but you still needed a jacket. Or a blanket.

The outside was comforting right now, you could hear children in the park down the street yelling and playing, hear people on the streets chattering and laughing, and birds chirping around. It was calming and beautiful, and the songs of the street could lull you to sleep as you scrolled mindlessly through your phone.

The sound of the balcony door opening across from you made you pause and look up, smiling as Simon shuffles through the open glass door, his hand raking down his face. He looked like he was hungover, and judging from the way he plopped down on the metal fold-out chair told you he most definitely was.

"Hi, Simon." He groaned lowly when you spoke, something you would take offense to if it wasn't coming from Simon. "How are you feeling?"

Simon glanced at you from the corner of his eye, watching as your attention went back to your phone.

You obviously knew the answer to your question, so he didn't even bother to humour you with an answer.

His eyes closed, when did it get so bright outside?

He groaned again, his head falling back.

You two fell into a comfortable silence again, Simon almost falling asleep at some point.

"Simon?" Your voice broke the barrier of sleep that was slowly surrounded him, causing him quickly lift his head and turn it to you, a husky 'hm?' being pulled from his throat to let you know he was listening, "Would you want to... Come over to my apartment and eat dinner with me sometime?"

He stared at you, and you squirmed uncomfortably from the sheer weight of his gaze, uncertain if you had asked the wrong question.

You cleared your throat and shifted forward, speaking again, "It's just that I make too much food always, and sometimes it goes to waste. You don't have to if you don't want to but-"

"Why can't you just bring me food?" His eyebrow raised slightly, grilling you for answers.

He knew why, but part of him wanted to hear you say it. Say you wanted his company.

"Uhh..." Your eyes went slightly wide, unsure what to say. Maybe you should just bite the bullet and just ask him on a date. You wouldn't do that, you know it. You could totally just reason with yourself that you were simply doing him a small favour. "The company would be nice. Sometimes it gets lonely in my apartment."

That's... Somewhat what he wanted. But he could see right through your little lie.

"Okay."

Huh? What?

He agreed to it... That easily?

You blinked quickly, nodding in his direction.

"Okay. It's a date. Not that... It is a date, you- get it. Not a date. I'll text you when I cook." You fumbled over your words and stood quickly, clearing your throat quickly before muttering a goodbye and going into your apartment, shutting the door behind you.

Simon cracked a faint smile, staring where you stood.

___

Sorry for slow updates, I've been really into Spider-Man for like the past month or so, so I've just been writing little drabbles for it in my free time (I haven't published any of them, I might though who knows). Enjoy, thank you all for the comments and support, it means everything to me. <3