Chapter 17: Soft

April 5, 11:45 pm.

You were so soft.

Your lips, your hands as they rested on his neck, the scent of your perfume.

You were soft but you invading his senses was quick and harsh. Like a relentless siege to his body. His hands have around your hips still, nervous to touch you.

Nearly unwanting to touch you. Fear he would crush you, fear you would turn to dust and float away in the imaginary wind of your apartment hallway.

Simon didn't feel so great, in all honesty.

You pulled away, eyebrows pulled in concern.

You looked sad. Rejected.

"Simon...?" Your voice was soft, cracking slightly.

Shit, he thought. The opportunity of a lifetime, well not really of a lifetime, but an opportunity to not spend the night alone and he was rapidly watching it slip through his hands.

"Sorry, I..." He allowed his hands to rest on your hips, steadying your swaying, "I'm not too keen on the idea of sleeping with a bird that can hardly stand."

A bird? You scoffed internally, you weren't a bird. You were a woman. A woman who wanted him.

He looked down at you, light eyes squinting slightly. They still had dark shadow stuck around them, causing his light lashes to stand out more than they normally do.

You understood where he was coming from, but you had both had a fair bit to drink, just judging from his almost willing chattiness on the way home, the soft sway of him.

You nodded, hands sliding to rest on his shoulders l, where you gave a soft squeeze, thumbs rubbing into the muscle there. "Mhm. I get it. But if you ever get lonesome, I'm next door. Just a knock away."

The sentence set fire to him, set his abdomen ablaze.

"I'll keep that in mind." His hands left your hips and he stepped back, giving you a final nod before he turned and made his way back to his apartment door, unlocking it, after fiddling with the keys, and disappearing into the dark of the room.

You sighed.

Your door pushed open easily and closed behind you, leaving nothing but the warm welcoming string lights to comfort you in the dark.

April 7, 4:25 pm.

"Dude no, I can't ever talk to him ever again. I really just made an ass of myself."

Gabbie frowned through the screen, watching as you ran a hand down your face, groaning softly at the thought of ever talking to your neighbour again.

She couldn't remember his name... Samson? Sebastian? Sean?

No, that wasn't right.

"Are you even listening to me, Gabs?" You watched as her eyes snapped back into focus again, her head nodding.

"Of course! Just thinking." She tapped her chin in exaggerated thought, "What if you did anyway? Just sat down with him like 'Hey, I like you, unsure if it's beyond anything physical but conceivably we could sleep together to see if there's chemistry'."

She looked so proud of herself.

"I don't know if I have the balls to do that, Gabs. I really don't know if I can." Your lower lip stuck out slightly, eyes staring at the ceiling.

"Sure you can. Have a little bit to drink and you'll be fine."

Alcohol was the reason you were in this situation in the first place.

She had a bit of an idea, kind of. Maybe when you heard him on the balcony you could take a few shots, go outside, and discuss... Well, what Gabbie said.

"Maybe." You looked outside, watching two pigeons coo at each other on your banisters.

It's like the universe was teasing you, rubbing it in your face that the only man you've liked since your last relationship doesn't like you.

Or didn't explicitly say he liked you.

Maybe he did like you.

You were pretty drunk. Maybe not drunk, but definitely more intoxicated than he was.

"I have to go, Gabbie. I want to wallow in my own self-pity." You smiled at the camera, giving a soft wave before leaving the call.

God, this was the worst.

You set your laptop to the side and stood up, walking over to the balcony and dropping on the couch outside, scaring the pigeons away.

You're unsure when you fell asleep, but when you woke up it was night, and Simon was on the balcony across from you, smoking. Just in pajama pants, his hair messy.

He looked like he was carved from stone, like a statue that the Greeks would carve. The ink that stained his skin stood out from its pale surroundings.

"Staring's rude." He took another drag, exhaling through his nose.  He turned his head to look at you, expression as blank as always.

You sat up, nodding softly. "Sorry. I don't mean to."

"Hm." He took a final drag and put the cigarette out in the ashtray beside him.

An uncomfortable silence hung between the two of you, your eyes looking anywhere but at Simon.

You wanted to talk to him, you really did. But you didn't have a single clue on how to start the conversation.

I want you? I want to test the waters in this odd relationship? Make me see stars?

"Staring again." He glanced at you from the corner of his eye, arms crossed.

"I think I want to try sleeping together to see where things end up." That was... Certainly a way to rip the band-aid off.

Simon chuckled, but just barely.

"Jesus wept, that was forward." He turned to face you, hands moving to grip the railing of the banister, muscles flexing as he leaned his body weight forward.

You could feel sweat forming on the back of your neck despite the chill of the air around you. Nervousness seeps into every pore, settling in your stomach where it formed a ball.

You could be sick.

Finally finding your voice you broke the moment of silence, wanting an answer. Any answer."Well?"

His eyebrows raised as if he was in thought, and he finally nodded.

"I don't really do the dating scene. Personal reasons for that," He didn't want to tell you what he was, what he did, how his whole job was killing people, how his work haunted him but it was his only skill at this point, "But I'm not opposed to a quick romp every now and then."

Your lips pressed together.

"When?"

___

Next chapter will, most likely, be NSFW, unsure. Depends on how I feel writing it.

Also, I love and hate this chapter, it's not my favourite but some demon possessed me when I started writing idk.

Also, I've been writing little things for Baldur's Gate, I'll probably publish them in their own little book if anyone is interested.

Love y'all <3