Chapter 34

Missed me?

Did I tell you guys I love you ♥♥ (So sorry for updating after ages)

Her senses awoke her to a heavenly aroma, her tired eyes pried open, the hunger overriding her tiredness.

She strode into the kitchen after only splashing some cold water over her face, her hunger taking all the priority for the day.

Plopping herself opposite her son and next to the girls, she watched her husband hard at work in the kitchen. The way he moved gracefully, knowing where everything was despite only having been in this house for less than a day. The way his muscles flexed as he flipped the pancakes. The way his eyes scrunched in complete concentration of the task.

In a swift few minutes, the table had been set before the four. A banquet of breakfast.

Her stomach rumbled in agreeance with the luscious aromas of the food. The kids had all began to tuck in and had paid no attention to her, whereas Mikhail let out a soft chuckle, before loading her plate with everything.

Just as she grabbed her utensils to begin eating they were pulled from her hands, she looked up to see Mikahil, tucking into her food. She was at loss of words, the man had never done anything like this.

She was then backtracked when she saw him holding a forkful of food up to her mouth.

"You didn't assume I was greedy, did you?" He chuckled, as she took a bite allowing the lavish flavours overwhelm her taste buds.

She slumped into her chair, overcome with the flavour and the love that was in the food.

Yet there remained an relentless unmoving gnawing in her gut, warning her.

This wasn't what she was destined for.

Her destiny wasn't written as a smooth ride, it never had been.

Yet she sat at that table and she grasped onto the happiness that was being presented before her.

An unwelcoming tune disturbed the family's quality time; Alayna glared at her phone as if knowing that this very phone call would act as the floodgate for all the unfortunate events that were about to unfold.

Nothing could stop this tsunami of pain ready to rip out the foundations that Alayna had laid so eloquently.

Nothing could stop Alayna from breaking again.

From becoming that 18 year old, who's teary eyes were a permanent part of her appearance.

From breaking down, after building herself up.

It was the horrid truth.

She placed the phone beside her ear.

"Baji," a breathless Taufeeq called out.

"Yes," she replied unsure of what was about to unfold.

"The orphanage, it's gone. Fire. Everywhere. We just about got the kids out. We weren't able to save anything else."

Her heart dropped.

"Who did it?"

"I don't know. We haven't seen anyone."

"Please come quickly Baji. I don't know what to do."

I don't know either.

"I'm coming."

She looked straight to her husband.

"Stay with me, I don't think I'll get through this."

He grasped her hand immediately, without a thought, without a doubt.