𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙮.

─☼☼☼─

𝙒𝙃𝙄𝙇𝙀 𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙍𝙔𝙊𝙉𝙀 𝙀𝙇𝙎𝙀 had gone off to arrange their trip to Wilmington with the promise of meeting up later that afternoon, Charlotte found herself at one of the restaurants her friends rarely ever frequented, a buzzcut blonde sitting across from her. 

"So," Rafe wondered, taking a sip of the whiskey he had (illegally) been served, "What do you have on tonight?"

Picking at the plate of nachos in front of her, Charlotte attempted to keep her face as neutral as possible, "I'm stuck at home. My mom's obsessed with Kiara and I lately, wants to have a family dinner."

It was a good lie. Believable. 

Rafe let out a small laugh, reaching out to steal one of her nachos, "Y'know you can stay with me whenever you want, right? I mean, we'd have the whole place to ourselves."

The offer was enticing, but not something Charlotte could jump on right away. 

"Thanks, babe." She smiled, hoping her unease at what she was doing tonight wasn't showing through. "One more night with my helicopter mother and I think I might just take you up on that."

"Well, I'd love nothing more than you to stay with me. You know you're always welcome, Lottie."

How could he be so perfect, but so fucked up at the same time?

Pushing that topic aside, Charlotte returned to their original discussion, "What are you up to tonight?" 

Rafe shrugged, pushing aside his plate of food, "Well probably nothing if you're busy. Maybe do some work." He paused for a moment, as if contemplating whether or not to tell her the next part. "My dad's awake."

"I know." Charlotte's answer was quick, eliciting a look of confusion from Rafe. "I mean, I figured when you were back here." She elaborated, effortlessly enough that it didn't seem like a lie. 

"He wants me to tie up the loose ends here...erase our family from Kildare." He swallowed hard, "But I can't─I can't do that. Not with you here."

Nodding slowly, Charlotte held his gaze, "So what are you gonna do?"

"I'm gonna figure it out." He assured, a certainty in his voice. "I'm not leaving you again."

Charlotte's heart swelled, even despite the fact that part of his plan was selling the cross. He wanted to be here with her, no matter how difficult that was going to be. 

"I might be going back to school." Charlotte mentioned softly. She may not be on the island forever. 

"So I'll come with you." Rafe offered. "Or I'll come visit you every weekend. We can make it work, Lottie. I know we can."

What about the Pogues? What about my sister?

The questions danced on the end of her tongue, never leaving her lips. 

"Well, well, well. If it isn't little miss Country Clubette." Came a voice from somewhere behind Charlotte. 

Her eyes met Rafe's as she cringed, Rafe shooting her an apologetic look.