1♕

"Jisung! Jisung! Jisung, you sleepy head, wake up!"

A slightly squeaky, female voice reverberates through his skull, causing Jisung's brain to say goodbye to his peaceful sleep and receive his sister's enthusiasm instead.

Blinking lazily, he is faced with a delicate face, stubborn almond eyes, and a curtain of long, brown hair pulling towards the auburn, enough to confirm that, in fact, it's one of his sisters who interrupted his serene dreams.

Jisung grumbles, his voice hoarse with sleep, "What the hell do you want, Ha-rin?"

"What do I want? Have you forgotten what day it is?" Ha-rin asks completely scandalized.

Jisung purposely grunts loudly, burying his face in the thin, low pillow. "No, I haven't forgotten what day it is. I know very well, in fact. It's Saturday, I don't have to go to work until after lunch, and so, I should be sleeping peacefully instead of being woken up by my annoying sister."

Ha-rin scoffs, pulling the not-too-thick blanket off Jisung's body and eliciting another grunt of irritation at having made him feel the morning chill against his skin.

"Get up, Jisung! Come on. Today is the day the king and the queen are going to make a special announcement to the country. It's almost ten in the morning and the entire Euphoréa must see," she replies patiently, standing up off the bed so Jisung can get out of it too, but he remains in the same position.

Fuck the cold. Who needs a blanket anyway?

"Is that so?" Jisung scoffs, closing his eyes again in hopes of getting a few more minutes of rest. "I want them to shove the obligatory up their ass. Who's going to see if every single soul in the country has put their lives on hold just to listen to the royal family anyway?"

He doesn't need to open his eyes to know his sister is rolling her eyes.

"You really are stubborn, Jisung. I don't know who you went to inherit your bad temper and stubbornness from, I swear," his sister comments. "But that's okay. If you don't want to see the announcement coming from the royal palace, you probably don't want to eat the fresh bread that mom brought from the market just now."

"Bread?" The small mention of food is enough for his pillow to be completely abandoned. Did he hear it well? Fresh bread? This causes Jisung's brain to plug into the current and, consequently, his body to wake up and his stomach to roar. Well, fuck sleep. "Is someone's birthday today and I forgot we were supposed to celebrate? Or did we win the lottery and nobody told me?"

Ha-rin laughs carelessly. "I knew the mention of food would work. And no, it would be good if we won the lottery but that's not the case. It seems that the baker let one of the batches burn, and so as not to waste the bread, she agreed to exchange two baguettes... Hum, let's say... Slightly darker than they should, for a dozen of our eggs."

"A dozen?!" Jisung questions in surprise. "I don't know how fair this trade was. Twelve eggs, Ha-rin!" He adds suspiciously.

"Jisung," his sister says his name calmly. "Two. Baguettes," she emphasizes seriously as if Jisung is an idiot and isn't following her train of thought. She sighs, closing her eyes exasperatedly and pressing the bridge of her nose with her fingertips.. "Fine, if you would rather stay here to sleep and contemplate whether or not it was a fair exchange... It's your choice. Honestly, even better. More to spare," she shrugs.

Ha-rin reaches the door of their shared bedroom with a victorious smile on her lips as Jisung grunts but gets up from the bed with great effort at the same time.

Even though the bread is clearly over burned, Jisung doesn't let a single crumb fall anywhere but directly into his mouth, closing his eyes in delight at the generous slice his mother prepared for him.