9♕

When the prince has finished speaking with the twelve selected, Jisung watches Minho wait for the last candidate to return to her seat to approach the center of the hall.

Hands clasped behind his back and posture as straight as possible, the prince announces, "Those I asked to stay here in the hall, please remain in your places. The others may accompany Jang-mi to the Great Hall. I will join you there soon."

Had the prince asked some to stay? Is that a good sign? Maybe it was the candidates that caught his attention the most and the prince wanted to take a little more time to get to know them better.

Jisung  gets up along with most of the others selected and starts walking towards the outside of the dining room. He notices that Ha-yun was one of the participants who stayed behind. It didn't surprise him. She was a Two and had a captivating beauty, worthy of a princess, even though her personality, from what little Jisung  had seen, was not the friendliest. The other selected - Moon Hanguk and the boy from caste Five, if Jisung  is not mistaken - was a complete stranger to the purple-haired boy. They never got to know each other, but it's not like Jisung  has actually met anyone other than Felix and Areum. They didn't give him the chance too, anyway.

The cameras lag behind to capture that special moment - whatever it was - and the rest of them follow the path behind Jang-mi towards the Great Hall. When they enter, they’re greeted by an explosion of brilliance - not literal but not far from it, such is the glittering, elegant costumes and jewelry - because there, more majestic than ever, is the king Kim Bon-hwa and the queen Kim Yuna.

Gasps were heard throughout the space, such was the surprise of all the selected. Even from Jisung . It was like they were face to face with human beings from another world, honestly. So majestic, elegant and opulent, authoritative and gentle at the same time.

In addition to the royal couple, there were also more cameras and technicians, ready to capture the first meeting of the selected ones with royalty. Jisung  hesitates, wondering if they should even enter when none of the royal members have invited them inside. But almost everyone else, albeit hesitantly, continues to advance. Jisung  walks smoothly to one of the armchairs arranged in front of the thrones where the king and queen are, taking his seat again beside Felix.

Jang-mi enters seconds later - as she has momentarily moved away from them to give some directions to the servants - and she seems to be dissatisfied with the situation.

"My dear ladies and gentlemen," she begins, drawing the attention of the nervous selected. "I'm afraid we haven't talked about it yet. Whenever you enter a room where the king or the queen are, or if Our Majesties enter a space where you are, the correct thing to do is to get up and bow. Then, when they address themselves to you, you can rise from the bow and take your seats. Let's do it now please," Jang-mi orders, smiling as all the selected ones rise in tune and make a long, respectful bow.

"Good morning," greets the queen. "Please, have a seat and feel very welcome to the palace. It’s a pleasure to receive all of you." Her voice has a pleasant tone. It was calm and serene and mellifluous, just like the expression on her face. The queen has a long gown in shades of golden, reflecting the rays of light coming from the sun that enters through the high windows. Her hair was spectacularly intertwined, a thin but shiny crown resting on top of her head.

"Good morning dear daughters and sons of Euphoréa. It’s a pleasure to have you with us in our home and we hope you’re having the most pleasant and comfortable stay possible," this time it’s the king who smiles at the candidates. Like the queen and the prince, the king is also dressed in shades of gold, in an elegant suit. His voice, while also sounding kind, is audibly more authoritative and assertive. "I know you've already had breakfast but please, join us for a cup of coffee or tea while we get to know each other a little better."