Prelude

Emilia Meavh Valent had never had any reason to believe that the world had more to offer her outside of her insulated Irish hamlet.

Her family was a tight-knit one; parents Mallina and Darius, as well as Darius's parents Rosalia and Ean Valent, were always available to lend a listening ear, a comforting embrace, or a diverting story. While some children may subconsciously choose a favorite relative, Emilia would have sooner kissed a toad. She loved her father's ability to know exactly what she was thinking; she jumped at every chance to help her grandmother in the kitchen and yearned for the days when she would be able to learn her heavenly recipes; her stern grandfather treated her as an equal, which made her feel very special; and no matter how tired her mother seemed after a long day of teaching, Emilia always felt a sense of peace and comfort when they looked into each other's eyes.

A more wonderful childhood Emilia could not imagine; unfortunately, all children must grow up eventually. For Emilia, the moment came after a particularly rough winter just before she turned eight.

The wind and ice had crept into the cottage despite the family's best efforts to repel it, and Gramm Rose was spending more and more time either in bed or as close to the fire as possible, breathing raggedly and coughing in spurts.

It all scared Emilia, and it scared her worse when no matter how many blankets she brought her Gramm, the coughing continued to rack her body and leave her shaking. The feelings of dread all came to a head the night she was snapped out of sleep by her grandfather and father rushing out the house as they went for the doctor.

Emilia felt distinctly helpless as the village doctor, her parents, and Pa crowded around Gramm Rose, speaking in fearful tones such as Emilia had never heard from them, and as the dark sky lightened and faded into dawn, so too did Rosalia Valent from the lives of those who loved her.

The weeks went by evenly, yet gratingly, and on the morning of her eighth birthday, Emilia's mother woke her gently for a walk in the woods. The whole time, Mallina seemed lost in thought. Finally the two paused before a small grove where Emilia's mother gestured for silence.

After a moment, a flock of strange, frightening looking black beasts gathered.

"Can you see them?" her mother whispered.

"Well... yes?" Emilia felt vaguely confused.

Her mother sighed wistfully. "They're Thestrals. Only those that have witnessed... death... may see them."

Emilia felt a deep twist in her stomach.

"Emmy, hun, this must sound outrageous, and I absolutely understand if you're confused. Magic is something you've only read about in stories, but... there is much to the world that you should learn. Because you belong to it as well."

Emilia turned to look her mother in the eyes, feeling that familiar sense of connection that now felt slightly more poignant. Mallina reached in her coat pocket and produced a sort of stick; she guided Emilia's hand toward it and covered her daughter's with her own. Emilia felt her heart speed up a bit as her mother guided their linked hands toward a loose rock.

"Now, I'm going to help you out a bit first. Grip the wand firmly and focus on how it feels."

Emilia felt like she should ask about a hundred questions first, but she complied with her mother's instructions and waited for the feeling of readiness. A weak charge steadily buzzed in her arm, but nothing more. Emilia continued to wait, feeling awkward.

Mallina nudged her daughter. "Anything?"

"It's... tingly. Is that ready?"

Mallina nodded eagerly. "Yes, yes, you feel somethin'? Sorry Emmy, forgot this isn't your wand. Now... flick it at that rock!"