The Library (or, the time between)

A little longer than a week had passed, and Emilia had begun to doubt Ominis's confident claim that she and Amit would speak soon.

The worry faded into the background, however, as Emilia went on with a group of people she could confidently call friends. Natty, her travel companion to Hogsmede, quickly won Emilia (or "Lia", as Emilia insisted on a nickname as well) over with her welcoming personality; Poppy, a fellow Hufflepuff, found refuge in another beast lover that did not secretly make fun of her behind her back; and the newest and most surprising addition, Leander. Today, the four were meeting in the library to help each other prepare for History of Magic.

"I'm still not sure when you decided you two would get on so well," Poppy asked Emilia, drumming her fingers on the table as they waited on the arrival of the Gryffindors.

Emilia glanced at her friend before reattaching her eyes to the doors. "You know, he's very friendly once he's out of the competition mindset."

Poppy huffed a short laugh. "Well that's alright, then, once he figures out not everythin's a competition."

Emilia met Poppy's eyes with the sincerest expression she had. "He came to me for help with studying, and I think that counts for something."
Poppy shrugged.
Just then, the right door flew open, causing a disruptive bang that the door's opener, Leander, apologized profusely for in a loud whisper. Natty, just behind, rolled her eyes good-naturedly as the two made their way to the opposite seats of their table.

Straightening, Poppy gave a formal "Hello, Natty. Leander."

Leander muttered a hello back, a slight twinge of guilt playing across his eyes. Natty waved a quick hello.

Emilia breathed in. "Well, Poppy's got Stupendous Feats of the Goblin Welders and- Natty, did you bring the energy?"

Natty opened a fake book to reveal a batch of cookies, enchanted to encourage focus. "I got them soft, so they won't make noise."

"Perfect, thank you! I think Language of Liquid Metal is over here somewhere..." Emilia started to get up.

"Oh, I'll come too," Leander added, popping up out of his seat. Emilia, slightly caught off guard, said, "Oh, alright! This way."

The pair wound their way through other study groups toward the next floor, where they stopped at a shelf close to where the doors would be downstairs.

Emilia decided to ask, "So, why did you come along?"

"Oh. Well, I just thought it could be on a higher shelf, so..." Leander shrugged, smiling.

"Ah. I see," Emilia responded, a smile spreading across her face. "Well, then, let's get looking."

As she ran her fingers over the book spines, Emilia found herself glancing at the doors for extended periods of time. She didn't notice she was doing this, however, until she felt a nudge on her shoulder.
Turning, she saw Leander, who asked "You found the book yet?"

"Oh, uh, no, still looking," Emilia said, continuing her search on the lowest sections.

A creak of the library door set Emilia snapping her gaze towards whoever entered, heart leaping, but she pursed her lips when she realized the sleek brown hair belonged to Imelda.

Leander leaned over her, hands on his hips as though he were seriously considering whatever Emilia was looking at.

Finally breaking the silence, he asked "Who'ya lookin' for?"

Emilia felt self conscious. Who had she been wanting to see? Amit, by chance he was checking out the books she'd recommended?

Irritatingly, her face felt hot. "No'n."