Potions (or, the meeting)

Hogwarts was one of the most overwhelming experiences of Emilia's life. Granted, she wasn't alone in feeling this way, but none of the other students jumped when a painting spoke to them or seemed the slightest bit fascinated when the upperclassmen flew past on their brooms. But, determined to show the school's population that she deserved her spot, Emilia stepped far outside her comfort zone, resolving to directly introduce herself to others in hopes of a better reputation than one built on rumors.

Unfortunately, despite her best (and exhausting) efforts, the majority of the other students either didn't click with her, were only interested in the gossip concerning her, or actively avoided her gaze. It wasn't a devastating blow: she had plenty of schoolwork to catch up on and often lost track of time wandering the grounds, as well as doing a few errands with her fellow Hufflepuffs, but she'd be remiss to pretend she wasn't disappointed.

Emilia beetled into the Potions classroom just before Professor Sharp and took her spot by the station near the front.
Gathering the class, the professor gave Emilia the impression that she would have to do more than try her best if she wanted to win his respect.

"What is the importance of the brewing of a Wiggenweld potion?" The professor asked the class. Emilia wasn't sure and very much hoped he would not call on her.

"Mister Thakkar."

Emilia's gaze turned to a far station, where a tall Ravenclaw boy stood at the ready.

Without a moment of hesitation, he responded, "Yes, Professor Sharp. The Wiggenweld is widely used to sterilize and even heal a variety of injuries."

Professor Sharp tilted his head in admission. "It can heal some, not all, injuries. Points to Ravenclaw."

The boy seemed properly pleased with himself, and, as the professor continued with the lesson, caught Emilia's gaze in his own. He grinned excitedly and shot her a double thumbs-up, which Emilia bemusedly returned.
Refocusing on the lesson, Emilia chose to hope that show of character was a sincere one and would try and make friends with him.

Focused as Hippogriffs, Emilia stoked the flames under her cauldron as her partner, a Slytherin named Ominis Gaunt, crushed dittany leaves in a mortar. Picking up his wand, Ominis located the cauldron top and carefully dumped the crushed dittany in. Emilia snatched up the ladle and stirred the mixture as evenly as she could muster.

Ominis waved his hand. "That's probably enough."

Emilia extracted a ladleful of lush green potion, pouring herself a bottle and plugging it while Ominis filled his own. It reflected wonderfully in the light, and Emilia couldn't help but squeak with delight.

"All right, calm down, it's a perfectly passable Wiggenweld," Ominis lightly reprimanded. "But, you were a good partner. Listened to me when I needed you to."

"Thank you, Ominis. That's very kind." Emilia responded softly.

"Mm. Now, we're doing Edurus. Professor Sharp has your missing ingredients in his office. Since you're good at listening, you should already know what you need."

Emilia left her tablemate to his own and walked toward the back of the classroom, where the Ravenclaw boy was hard at work.

She opened her mouth to speak to him, but faltered. He was finished with his Wiggenweld and was steadily working his way through the Edurus potion. Watching him concentrate on his cauldron was rather entrancing to the girl.

"Pssst."

Surprised, Emilia turned to see Natty's tablemate leaning conspicuously (though she suspected he believed inconspicuously) against the office door.