Night walk (or, the realization)

Safely returning Highwing to her seaside habitat, Emilia stepped back out into the Room of Requirement. She paused to survey the cozy nook she and her friend Deek shared, a serious question weighing on her mind.

Waving goodbye to Deek, Emilia slipped through the moonlit corridors and pondered whom she could trust with the Room.

Natsai? Emilia had tried to show her once the two of them saved Highwing; the door had simply not shown itself, making Emilia look foolish and making Natsai late for Ancient Runes.

Poppy? No, she hated to stay still; always bustling around tracking poachers, caring for beasts, and recently, getting on with Leander and his friends.

Imelda? Emilia made herself laugh with that. She doubted if Imelda would ever call Emilia a friend: In fact, Imelda only ever called her "Badger."

Amit?

Emilia slowed her walk, another rush floating through her belly. The feeling was beginning to drive her balmy; she'd no idea why it was happening or why it would not leave her alone.

Sneaking into her bed as quietly as possible, Emilia struggled to fall asleep. Staring blankly at the ceiling, her mind was clamoring with attempts to make a decision. Trusting Amit with Highwing was one thing; it was another thing entirely to share with him the privacy of the Room.

Perhaps it was something she wasn't ready to share with him. At least, not yet.

Emilia and Natty settled into their usual spot in Charms, where Professor Ronen had passed out school-mandated essay parchment on what they had learned in Charms. Many students were just disappointed they weren't spending another day outside, but Emilia felt so exhausted that even writing a paragraph, let alone fifteen inches, would be a struggle.

Inking her quill, Emilia sleepily wrote her name at the top.

Emilia Thakkar.

Eyes snapping open, Emilia felt her face heating rapidly. Shielding her paper from Natty's eyes, she frantically dunked her quill in ink and scribbled out her embarrassing mistake. Taking her quill out too quickly, the ink bottle knocked over and spilled all over her parchment, soaking it completely. Swearing under her breath, Emilia tried to right the bottle, only succeeding in covering her hands in ink and fumbling the bottle off the table.

Natty shot out a hand and froze the ink bottle midair. Carefully, she guided it back onto the desk.

"Thank you," Emilia choked out, looking straight down to veil her face with her hair.

Natty stood, hauling Emilia with her, and excused herself from a befuddled Professor Ronan before speedwalking Emilia toward the nearby girl's bathroom.

Emilia raced for the sink, scrubbing her hands furiously and avoiding Natty's gaze, heart racing a mile a minute. "'T'won't come out..." she muttered frantically.

Placing her hands on her friend's arms, Natty gently spun Emilia around. When Emilia attempted to avoid her gaze, Natty lifted her chin with a hand.

"Lia, it's alright. No need to cry over spilled ink. Take some deep breaths, and use a little soap."

Emilia closed her eyes, breathing in and out until she felt her shoulders loosen. She turned back to continue washing her hands, but her face stayed a shade of red as she replayed the troublesome moment over and over in her head. What on earth was that about?

Natty caught Emilia's eye in the mirror. "Lia... I get the feeling that you were upset about more than the ink. Would it make you feel better if you told me?"