Chapter 3

I still couldn't get it wrapped around my head. I was gone for eight months. But the question still remained. Where was I? Why was I there for so long? And who took me.

The entire way home, I was completely lost in that thought, hoping that I'd be able to unlock some form of answer. That I could tell him something. But the longer I tried to force myself to remember it the more it made my head hurt. I couldn't understand how some memories were coming back easier than others. Especially the ones I wanted to surface.

It was exhausting.

But Kakashi must have noticed I was deep in thought when I didn't say anything the rest of the way home. I was so focused on trying to remember. . . well, anything that I didn't notice we were at the house. It wasn't until he grabbed my hand and gently pulled me to a stop that I actually noticed the change in scenery.

The house was gorgeous, and I couldn't believe that this was our home. It was an open floor plan, where the living room sat in the heart of the home, eventually spilling into the small dining area that connected with the kitchen. The entire living room was covered in different arrangements of plants, which, for some strange reason, I knew each one's specific species. The plants were a nice balance in color against the black accent wall they were against. Other than that, the room was pretty simple. A "L" shaped cream sofa that sat in the middle of the room faced the television and acted as a divider between the dining and living space.

The kitchen looked like something you would see in a big named restaurant. Stainless steal appliances, butcher block counter tops, black cabinets with silver accent handles, stainless steel pots, and pans hung over the sink. The occasional plant sat on the counter or on top of the cabinets, and I started to wonder if it was him or me that had the obsession with plants.

The walls were nicely decorated with picture frames and a clan symbol that mixed well in the many galleries throughout the house. Though I didn't recognize the crest, I couldn't help but smile when I saw it.

"Are you okay? You were pretty quiet the entire way here." He said, giving me a concerned look.

"I . . . Yeah, Kakashi." I sighed, not really sure what to say to him. I was overwhelmed, and I desperately wanted everything to stop, or at least slow down. But I didn't know how to tell him that without upsetting him.

"You always were horrible at lying, Emi." He chuckled.

I swallowed the small lump that was started to form in my throat. "Sorry." I said with a small sniffle. My bottom lip started to tremble slightly as I fought the urge to cry.

His eyes grew wide slightly, and he quickly brought me closer to his chest, wrapping his arms tightly around my body. No matter how hard I tried to stop, though, my entire body started to shake against his as the tears streamed down my face.

"Emi, honey, what's wrong?" He asked gently, rubbing small circles up and down my back with his thumb,

"I'm s-so overwhelmed. I-I'm s-sorry, I-I can't h-help it." I sobbed into his chest.

I felt his body move up and down with his sigh, then slowly lean more into his embrace on me. Like he was trying to use his body to shield me from the effects of my mind. I felt. . . safe. There were two things I knew for certain about this man. I might not remember much, but I know he loves me, and I love him, and that he would do anything to protect me.

"I'm sorry, Emi. Is it me? Am I being too much? I-I can back off for a little bit until your memories start to come back. Or I can -"

I shook my head against his chest. "Please don't leave me." I whispered. The idea of him not being by my side, even just a little, made a pit form in my chest. The only safety I had was him, and I didn't want him to leave. Even if I was overwhelmed by the sudden relationship and everything else, the one thing I knew for certain was I just wanted, no needed him to be around me.