Chapter Eleven

The landlord said it was going to take a few weeks for the apartment to get repaired. Thankfully, since Kakashi still kept his dad's place, we've been able to stay their for the past couple of weeks. And as much as I appreciated the extra space and the fact that we had a place that we could stay in, I knew this was bothering Kakashi on a subconscious level. This was a place that held very strong, unpleasant memories for him. He still had a hard time walking into the living room. He would purposely go through the dining room and through the kitchen to get to the door and vis versa to get through the home. He was willing to sleep in the master but I didn't want to push him. So while Naruto took his old room, him and I took the guest room that was just across it. 

His nightmares started coming back as well. At first, he they were pretty mild - he would talk in his sleep and tossed and turned a few times. But lately, they've been getting progressively worse. He'd wake up in a sweat panting, his attention focused on the very hand that ultimately ended up killing Rin. And every night, I would wake up and find him aggressively scrubbing his hands as he tried to get the blood off. It was hard seeing him relive these horrible memories that haunted us. 

I've told him many times that he didn't have to stay in the house with us, and he should spend the nights in the ANBU barracks. At least until the apartment was fixed. But even with these haunting memories, he still insists on being with us. He kept saying that he couldn't protect us or keep us safe if he's not with us. 

He's sweet. Really, he is. But it breaks my heart to see him constantly struggling with the past. 

And tonight was no different. I was woken again to the soft grunts and whimpers of him having another nightmare. His hands were balled into a fist at his sides, gripping the sheets beneath him. His eye brows twitched, and his face grimaced as his mind replayed the horrible images in his mind. 

"Kashi." I said softly as I sat up and shook his shoulder. "Kashi, it's just a bad dream, honey. You gotta get up." A frown formed on my lips as I continued to watch him struggle with his nightmare. It was hard to see him like this - to see him struggling and so broken. 

"Kashi." I said louder as I shook both of his shoulders. 

His eyes flew open in a panic. In a flash, he had me pinned against the bed, his hands gripping firmly around my wrist. His eyes were looking straight through me, his breathing was labored, and sweat beaded his brow. His grip tightened on my wrists, and I grit my teeth when I felt my right one snap under the pressure. 

"Ka-kashi." I winced as I tried to keep a composed face. If he found out that he hurt me during one of his episodes, he would never forgive himself. 

He blinked a few times, and his slowly started to focus on my face. He quickly released his hold on me but stayed hovering over me as he tried to slow his breathing.

"Are you okay, love?" I asked softly as I slowly reached up and brushed his hair away from his eyes.

He nodded and let out a long exhale. "Yeah. I'm sorry. I didn't . . . I didn't even realize I was awake." He said as he rolled over and pressed his palms against his eyes.

I kissed his masked cheek and gave him a soft smile. "It's alright. Do you want me to make you some tea? Maybe that'll help you go back to sleep?" 

He moved his hands from his face and turned my direction, giving me a look over. Taking another deep breath, he nodded his head with a small exhale. I gave him a soft smile and kissed his cheek again before I got out of bed. Moving to his side of the bed, I took his hand, giving it a gentle tug, silently encouraging him to come with me.