Chapter 4

I woke up with fright, shooting straight up and panting as I tried to recover from the same nightmare I had the night before. Sweat had soaked most of my hair along with the collar of my shirt. Looking around the room I could tell I was no longer in my dream, but my brain was still in such a panic, there was no way I'd fall back asleep. Quickly glancing out the window I realized it couldn't have been that long that I was asleep. Maybe a few hours give or take. Throwing the covers off of me, I made my way out of the bedroom and quietly down the stairs. I assumed since Kakashi wasn't in the room with me he was in one of the other rooms, and I didn't want to bother him trying to get a simple glass of water.

I stared at the black cabinets with a sigh.

'If I was a cup, which cabinet would I be in?' I thought as I started opening one cabinet. Unfortunately, it wasn't cups, but different coffees and teas. Which made to believe the next one would -

"Here." Kakashi chuckled holding out a glass to me.

I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. "Thanks." I said taking the glass from him and getting water from the fridge. "I hope I didn't wake you up." I said as I brought the glass to my lips.

He shook his head. "I haven't gone to bed yet, honestly." He said messing with his hair. His eyes landed on my obviously sweaty chest but quickly adverted his gaze back up to my eyes. "Are you okay? Did you have a nightmare?"

I nodded my head, nervously tapping the glass with my finger tips. "I had the same dream yesterday too, but I can't tell if it's a memory or if it's just a nightmare."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head with a small frown. "I don't want to worry you."

He chuckled under his breath. "Emi, I hate to break it to you, but that's all I ever do, is worry about you. Besides if it's a memory, maybe I can help you figure out the missing pieces or maybe we can get a step closer to what happened to you."

I looked down at the half empty glass in my hands as I contemplated what he said.

"I -uh- it's not a lot that I remember about it. Just little snip bits." He nodded his head for me to continue. "I was in this really dark room, and for some reason I was laying on this metal table. I don't know how to explain how I knew, but it was like I could just feel how cold it was against my body. I couldn't see much, except for this shadow of an outline of someone standing over me." I paused for a moment and looked back down at the glass in my hands as I tried to recall as much of the dream as I could.

"I couldn't hear anything except this loud ringing, but I knew they were talking me to. Or they were trying to. Everything honestly felt like I was haze or a fever dream."

"But there was this pain. It was so excruciating. And no matter how hard I would try to move to get away I couldn't get my body to do what I wanted. There were all of these tubes and wires attached to my arms." I extended my arms out to him as if I was trying to show him, but the faint pink scars along my forearms and biceps made me freeze.

It wasn't just a dream This was a memory.

My eyes widened in horror at the realization. I was used as a human pin cushion for months. For months I had my blood taken out and had mysterious liquids forced into my veins causing my body to convulse from the excruciating burning sensation that flowed through them. For months my body laid on that table unable to respond to my demands. It was like my subconscious was trapped inside a shell, and I was stuck watching these horrible people use my body as an experiment.

Sensing my fear, Kakashi closed the gap between us and took the glass from my hand before gripping my bicep. "Emi. Emi, look at me." He said sternly, my widened and horrified eyes met him and his eyes widened in return. "What happened?"