Chapter 4

---Mara's POV---

It had been days since her accidental meeting with Nikolai, and her mind raced with the idea of his proposal. She still didn't trust him, but with every passing hour in the palace, she was beginning to see how much help she could in fact offer Ravka. She could make a difference and be something important.

But something stood in the way of her decision. Wrapping her in a shadow of doubt and confusion whenever she was about to make up her mind. Everywhere she turned she would see his face and feel a sinking feeling in her stomach. The face and presence of the Darkling.

As her meetings with him grow more persistent, he has been urging her to invite him into the palace, igniting a fear deep within her. Every evening his smooth voice seems to sedate her senses. Making her feel every bit as helpless as her new skills make her feel powerful.

Determined to protect Nikolai and keep her dealings with the Darkling hidden, becomes skilled in the art of secrecy. Making sure to never let anyone know of her connection to the very man that Nikolai has sworn to destroy.

One evening, as the aroma of dinner filled the palace halls, Mara discreetly slipped away, her heart pounding with each step. Nikolai hadn't been at dinner, but that wasn't unusual. He usually took his dinner in his suit or in the war room.

Her dress swayed on the marble floors as she ascended the grand staircase. The thick red fabric hanging heavily on her shoulders, her matching silk gloves clutching her skirts as she quickened her steps.

She continued forward, venturing toward the usual clandestine meeting spot, hoping to satisfy the Darkling's demands of their daily meetings without raising suspicion. Looking over her shoulder every few seconds to insure she wasn't being followed. Her curls coming lose from their braid and falling loosely around her shoulders.

She stopped at a doorway to her right and without another thought, turned the knob as she looked one last time behind her. Before slipping through and closing the door quickly behind her. Pressing her back to the wood as she let out a quiet sigh.

The familiar smell of paper and ink filling her nose. The small library had become her private spot. With the much grander library on the other side of the palace, this room was rarely used. Making it the perfect place to do as she pleased. With whom she pleased.

She pushed herself away from the door and walked across the room. She was about to turn the corner around a large shelf, when she freezes in her tracks. Eyes wide, and panic itching up to her cheeks. Causing them to turn beet red.

Standing before her, a mixture of surprise and concern etched on his face, was Prince Nikolai. He was leaned over a table; the sleeves of his white shirt were rolled up to his elbows. His hair messing. Candlelight illuminating the side of his face.

"Mara?" Nikolai's voice is filled with curiosity. "What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be at dinner?"

"I-Uh..." She blinked. Drawing a blank. Glancing at the clock as she grasped for anything that she could say that would be remotely believable. She had 8 minutes. 8 minutes till the Darkling took form before them. She needed to get Nikolai out of there. "I wanted to talk to you, but I uh... I feel faint. Could we go outside?" Her heart was pounding, her words coming out quickly, probably too quickly.

Nikolai took a step closer to her. His eyebrows knitting together with concern. Mara swallowed hard before rolling her shoulders back, trying to compose herself.

"I'm afraid there's been strange sightings outside of the palace today, the grounds are forbidden tonight. But you're right, you don't look well. Can I get you something to drink, maybe a chair?" He spoke, now standing before her. His hands stretched towards her slightly, wanting to help.

Mara's heart rate quickened, sending a glance at the clock. 6 minutes. She was running out of time, so she did the only thing that she could think to do. She stepped forward and took one of Nikolai's hands, his eyes searching hers quickly as he cautiously allowed her to bring his palm to her cheek. His touch was cool and calming against her warm skin, his touch welcoming but hesitant.

"Please Nikolai, you wouldn't want your future wife to faint onto the floor, would you?" She looked into his eyes, leaning into his hand. Hoping that her efforts would help her situation. She knew he had a soft spot for her, and with any luck she could count on that to get him to leave.

Nikolai's eyebrows shot up. The emotion of surprise returning to his features. "My future wife? Is that why you came looking for me? Have you decided?"

"Just answer the question." She said quickly, closing her eyes. She was going to regret this; she could feel it.

"Uh, No. Of course not. I would want her to feel well, but I would catch her if it led to that." He answered, removing his hand from her face. Taking her gloved hand between his own. His eyes were burning into her. She looked over his shoulder once more. 4 minutes.

"Then please, will you go find a way that we can go outside?" She asked, her words coming out of her mouth no more than a whisper. Her hands beginning to shake. "Please."

Nikolai shook his head, looking more worried now. "It's too dangerous, there's a reason they have closed the doors. It's for our protection. I promise in the morning I will be the one to personally take you outside. I can open a window. Or maybe you just need a change of view. There is something I'd like to show you, a plan I've been working on. Will you come with me?"

Mara's mind was racing, her heart torn between her curiosity and the looming danger that the Darkling presents. She hesitated, her voice barely audible. "Nikolai, I... I can't."

Nikolai's eyes lock with hers, searching for answers. "Can't or won't, Mara? I thought we were past secrets. Whatever you're involved in, I want to help. Trust me."

His words strike a chord, reminding her of the bond they once shared. With a nod, she takes a deep breath and follows Nikolai through the palace, her steps heavy with the weight of her hidden alliances. She was going to have hell to pay for not being where she should be. But she leaned into the security that Nikolai's hand gave her, his fingers still wrapped around hers as they made their way through the empty halls.

As they entered the war room, Mara's eyes widen at the sight of maps spread across the table, depicting the land divided by the monstrous Fold—the vast expanse of impenetrable darkness. Nikolai's voice breaks the silence, filled with determination. He let go of her hand, and walked around the round table, leaning over it as he gazed over his notes and wooden figures that Mara assumed represented ranks of the royal army.

"I think I have finally found a plan that will take down the Darkling and rid Ravka of the Fold. But I can't do it alone. I need allies."

Mara's heart pounds in her chest, her conflicted loyalties colliding within her. She looked at Nikolai, her voice filled with both desperation and hope. "Nikolai, I've kept secrets from you, for fear of putting you in danger."

Nikolai's eyes meet hers, his face tensed into an authoritative stare. Standing straight again as he gazed at her, waiting for her to continue.

"The Darkling... he wants me to invite him into the palace. I've been meeting with him in secret. He's been teaching me." She finally finished. Her throat burning as the words slipped over her tongue.

Nikolai's expression hardens, his eyes fierce. "You've been meeting with him?" His fingers twitching with either anger or anxiety. Mara couldn't quite tell. She only nodded. "Mara you are learning from the enemy. He doesn't need permission to get into the palace. He must be here already if he is conversing with you regularly."

Mara's eyes began to well with tears. Her heart tightening. She had put everyone in danger. And if anyone was hurt, it would be her fault. Nikolai clutched his jaw as he watched a tear roll down her cheek, her eyes clenched closed as she wrapped her arms around herself. Sinking to the floor.