Chapter 15

---Mara's POV---

Mara's thoughts were consumed by her recent dreams, the haunting visions of the Darkling that plagued her sleep. As she sat in the grand throne room, gazing out the windows with a troubled expression, the sound of footsteps approached from behind.

Genya, radiant as ever, and Zoya, with a determined glint in her eyes, entered the room. They exchanged a quick glance before Genya spoke up, concern etched on her face.

"Mara, we've noticed that something's been bothering you lately," Genya said gently, her voice filled with compassion. "Is everything alright?"

Mara sighed, her eyes flickering with a mix of worry and confusion. "I can't shake these dreams, Genya. Dreams of the Darkling. But he's supposed to be dead. I thought we had put an end to him."

Zoya crossed her arms, her voice steady yet resolute. "Dreams can be powerful, Mara. They often reveal truths hidden deep within us. Perhaps there is more to the Darkling's story than we initially believed."

Mara nodded, her mind swirling with questions. "But why now? Why would he appear in my dreams again, after all this time?"

Genya moved closer, placing a comforting hand on Mara's shoulder. "Sometimes, the past lingers, Mara. We can't always control what our minds choose to remember or confront. But what matters is how we handle it."

Mara's gaze met Genya's, her eyes searching for guidance. "What should I do? These dreams are unsettling, and I fear their implications."

Zoya spoke with conviction, her voice steady and unwavering. "Face them, Mara. Confront your fears head-on. We will stand by your side; you are the only one that can put an end to this."

A flicker of determination sparked within Mara's eyes. She knew she couldn't let these dreams consume her. With her trusted friends by her side, she would find the answers she sought and put an end to the lingering darkness that threatened their peace.

"Thank you, both of you," Mara said, her voice filled with gratitude. "I won't let these dreams control me. I will face them, and we will find a way to ensure the safety of Ravka." Mara stood up from her seat and turned to her friends. 

"I need to leave the palace. Please inform his Majesty that I will return in a few days, I know that if I am the one to tell him, he would never let me go. I have my light to protect me. I need to understand this darkness if I am going to put an end to the King's demons and rid the Darkling from my mind. I will not even let him reside in my thoughts; I will not let him have that comfort."

They both nodded, and Mara ran out of the room.

---Nikolai's POV---

Nikolai and David made their way through the corridors of the palace, their steps purposeful and determined. Nikolai's mind buzzed with a plan, a glimmer of hope that could protect Mara from the ever-looming darkness that threatened to consume him.

"David, I need your expertise," Nikolai began, his voice laced with urgency. "I need you to create a ring, a powerful artifact that can shield Mara from the darkness that resides within me."

David's brow furrowed as he processed Nikolai's request. "Creating a ring of such magnitude won't be an easy task, Your Highness. It requires a deep understanding of Grisha power and intricate craftsmanship."

Nikolai nodded, his gaze unwavering. "I know it won't be easy, but it's our best chance to keep Mara safe. She's risking so much for me, and I can't bear the thought of her being harmed."

David's expression softened, his eyes reflecting both sympathy and determination. "I understand. I'll do everything in my power to create a ring that will shield her from the darkness. We'll need to harness the power of light and find a way to ward off the shadows that threaten to consume her."

As they reached the door to David's workshop, Nikolai placed a hand on his friend's shoulder, gratitude evident in his eyes. "Thank you, David. Your loyalty and friendship mean the world to me."

David nodded, a hint of a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "You don't have to thank me; everyone is eager to be what you need us to be. We want you to stay alive to become king, and it would be my greatest honor to serve under your power."

Inside the workshop, the air crackled with energy as David began his work. Tools clinked, and the sound of murmured incantations filled the room. Nikolai watched with a mix of hope and trepidation, his fingers anxiously tapping against his thigh.

Hours turned into days as David meticulously crafted the ring, pouring his knowledge and skill into every detail. The ring glimmered with a soft, ethereal light, a symbol of the protection it would provide.

As David handed the finished ring to Nikolai, the prince's heart swelled with a mix of gratitude and renewed determination. He knew that this small piece of jewelry held the power to shield Mara from the darkness that threatened to tear them apart. 

It was a beautiful gold band, with a web of diamonds around a large emerald in the center. It shined in the light, and Nikolai's heart began to race as he thought of slipping it onto Mara's finger.

Not only was this going to protect her. He was going to properly propose to her, and with any luck. She would become his wife. 

"Thank you, my friend," Nikolai said, his voice filled with genuine appreciation, resting his hand on David's shoulder. "This ring is not just a symbol of protection; it represents the strength of our bond and the lengths we are willing to go to keep those we love safe."

David smiled warmly, his eyes reflecting the weight of their shared journey. "Mara is lucky to have you, your majesty. Your love for her is unwavering, and I have no doubt that this ring will serve its purpose."

Nikolai slipped the ring onto his pinky finger, feeling a surge of warmth and power course through him. He smiled in amazement, looking up at David with bewilderment.

"It's perfect. Send for Mara at once, tell her to meet me in the gardens." Nikolai grinned, before jogging out of the room towards his chambers.