Chapter 22

---Genya's POV---

As Genya strolled through the palace gardens, taking comfort in the calming beauty of nature, she spotted David sitting on a stone bench, his gaze fixed on a cluster of blooming flowers. A small smile played upon her lips as she approached him.

"Enjoying the garden?" she asked, her voice gentle and warm.

David's eyes flickered with surprise, but he quickly returned her smile. "Yes, it's a peaceful respite from the chaos inside," he replied, patting the empty spot beside him. "Care to join me?"

Genya gracefully took a seat next to him, her gaze wandering over the vibrant colors surrounding them. "It's moments like these that remind us of the simple pleasures amidst our complicated lives," she mused.

David nodded, his fingers absentmindedly plucking at a blade of grass. "Indeed, sometimes all we need is a moment of tranquility to find clarity and recharge our spirits."

Silence settled between them, the soothing sounds of the garden filling the air. Genya turned her attention to David, curiosity tugging at her. "How have you been, David? I know these past events have taken a toll on all of us."

He sighed, his shoulders slumping slightly. "It's been challenging, but I'm doing my best to support Nikolai and the rest of our allies," David replied. "I've been assisting with research, trying to find any information that could aid in understanding of the drug Lady Mara partook of, no luck yet." He looked down, studying the gravel beneath his feet.

Genya nodded, her eyes filled with empathy. "Your dedication and knowledge are invaluable, David. We need your expertise now more than ever."

A hint of a self-deprecating smile touched David's lips, and he met her gaze. "I'm just doing what I can. But tell me, Genya, how are you holding up? You've always been a pillar of strength for everyone."

She paused, contemplating her response. "I have my moments of doubt and weariness, as anyone would," Genya admitted. "But seeing Nikolai and Mara's resilience, their unwavering love, gives me hope. It reminds me that no matter how daunting the challenges, there is always a glimmer of light to guide us."

David's gaze softened, his eyes reflecting a genuine appreciation. "You have a remarkable ability to find hope in the darkest of times, Genya. It's a quality I greatly admire."

A blush tinted Genya's cheek, and she looked away briefly, collecting her thoughts. "Thank you, David."

They sat in companionable silence, the weight of their responsibilities momentarily lifted as they found solace in each other's presence. The tranquility of the garden enveloped them, offering a temporary reprieve from the turmoil that awaited them inside the palace walls.

---Nikolai's POV---

Nikolai sat at the head of the table, his gaze focused and determined as his council of advisors gathered around him. Mara, sat on a bench by the door, her silent presence fueling Nikolai with the courage he needed to assume his role as future king. The atmosphere in the room was charged with urgency as they delved into the pressing matters plaguing Ravka.

Alderov, the seasoned diplomat, cleared his throat and addressed Nikolai. "Your Highness, the trade negotiations with Novyi Zem have hit a snag. The tariffs imposed on our goods have stifled our economy, and tensions are escalating. We must find a way to resolve this swiftly to protect our trade relations."

Nikolai leaned forward; his brow furrowed. "Alderov, I understand the gravity of the situation. We cannot afford to let this dispute harm our economy further. Have our envoys been in direct contact with the Novyi Zem representatives?"

Alderov nodded. "Yes, Your Highness. However, their demands remain unreasonable, and they show no willingness to compromise. We need a strong stance to protect our interests without alienating them entirely."

Nikolai's eyes glinted with determination. "I will personally take charge of the negotiations. We must find common ground and foster a partnership that benefits both our nations. Send word to our envoys that I will be joining them in Novyi Zem in two weeks' time. I believe face-to-face discussions will be more effective in finding a resolution."

Zoya, the strategic mastermind, spoke up next. "Your Highness, the border tensions with Shu Han are escalating. Their incursions have become more frequent, and our eastern provinces face increased threats to their stability."

Nikolai's jaw tightened, his gaze hardening. "Zoya, assemble our best military advisors. I want a comprehensive plan in place to strengthen our borders and deter further encroachments. We cannot allow the safety of our people to be compromised. Additionally, reach out to neighboring nations for possible alliances and support in maintaining stability."

Zoya nodded, her eyes filled with determination. "Consider it done, Your Highness. I will ensure that our military advisors are assembled swiftly, and I will also begin laying the groundwork for potential alliances."

As the meeting continued, other pressing issues were brought to light, ranging from internal reforms to diplomatic negotiations with neighboring kingdoms. Nikolai listened attentively, absorbing the information, and offering insightful input when necessary.

Finally, as the meeting drew to a close, Nikolai rose from his seat, his expression a mix of resolve and exhaustion. "I want to express my deepest appreciation to each of you. The challenges we face are immense, but I have complete faith in our ability to overcome them. Together, we will safeguard the interests of Ravka and build a better future for our people."

Each member of the table stood and bowed, before leaving the room. Zoya being the last to leave. She put a hand on Mara's shoulder, giving her a soft smile before shutting the door behind her.

Nikolai sank into his chair, rubbing his hands over his face. Mara approached Nikolai, her hand reaching out to touch his arm. Then following up his shoulder until she stood behind him. Softly rubbing his shoulders through his thick green coat. Her voice carried unwavering support. "Nikolai, you have shown exceptional leadership. Your determination and strategic thinking will guide this country through these challenges."

Nikolai turned around to Mara, his eyes softly studying her face. "Thank you, Mara. Your unwavering support means more to me than words can express. With you by my side, I feel I can do anything. Anything but sleep that is." He chuckled. "Being king is going to be harder than I thought."

"You remind me of a great privateer that I had the great fortune of meeting once," Mara smiled. "And he will navigate these stormy waters and lead Ravka to brighter shores." She spoke, pressing a kiss to his temple.

Nikolai turned further, placing a hand on the back of her neck as he stood up. Overcoming her in height and taking her lips into his. Her lips were soft, and with every kiss they shared he found himself leaning in for another. He breathed deeply, resting his forehead against hers.

"I have something for you." He whispered.

"What is it?" Mara smiled, searching his eyes with a confused look on her face.

"You'll see." He winked. "Come with me." He said confidently, as he took her hand and pulled her out of the room.