Chapter 12

---Mara's POV---

Mara stood before Nikolai's chamber door, her heart heavy with worry and longing. She had religiously made the visit night after night, hoping to find the peace that came in the touch of Nikolai's hand beneath the door, and the hope that this was the time he would open it. But each time, she was met with silence, her questions left unanswered.

"Nikolai," she whispered, her voice filled with both love and frustration. "Please, let me in. Share your burden with me. We can face it together."

The door remained closed, a barrier between them. Mara sighed, her fingers trailing along the wooden surface, desperate for any sign of Nikolai's presence. She pressed her palm against the door, as if willing him to feel her love and unwavering support. Leaning against the wood as her other hand slipped beneath, palm facing up.

"Nikolai, I care for you," she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper. "I will wait for you, no matter how long it takes. But please, don't shut me out. We are stronger together."

A muffled sound came from the other side of the door, a mixture of yearning and pain. Mara's heart ached, knowing that Nikolai was there, just inches away, yet she couldn't reach him. She closed her eyes, tears glistening on her cheeks, as she let her love spill through the crack beneath the door. Gently and slowly, she felt cool fingers touch hers, and Mara gasped in relief. Plastering herself to the door and shoving her hand as far under the door as it would go.

"I can feel you." she whispered, her voice filled with both tenderness and longing. "My heart calls for you. And I can feel your light through the door. But it's not enough. I want to be by your side, to hold you in my arms and share your burdens. Please, Nikolai, let me in."

"I can't." He murmured.

"Yes, you can, just let me in. Whatever it is, I will try to understand."

"It isn't safe." He said slowly, softly caressing her fingers.

"Are you hurt? What has happened?" Mara said quickly. "Nikolai open the door."

Silence hung in the air, thick with unspoken words and unresolved emotions. Instead of a response, she felt his lips press a kiss to her fingertips. He must have been laying on the floor. She extended her fingers, and he nuzzled his face into her touch. He seemed just as desperate for touch as she was. With every piece of her being she wished that she could just slip between the crack and embrace him in her arms.

"I will fix this." He whispered. "I promise." His warm breath blew against her hand, his voice bringing both relief and pain to her insides.

After a moment, his touch retreated. Forcing Mara to slowly stand up, her hand slipping away from the bottom of the door. She knew that she couldn't force Nikolai to open up, to reveal the depths of his struggles. But she refused to give up on him.

"I will be here, waiting for you," she said softly, her voice carrying a steadfast resolve. "Whenever you're ready to let me in, I'll be here."

Mara lingered outside the door for a moment longer, her gaze fixed on the barrier that separated them. With a heavy heart, she turned away, knowing that she had done all she could for now. But her love for Nikolai remained unwavering, a beacon of hope that burned brightly within her.

---A few days later---

Mara found comfort in the company of Genya, her closest friend in the palace. They sat together in a quiet corner of the palace, their voices hushed as Mara poured out her heartbreak and frustration.

"I miss him, Genya," Mara said, her voice tinged with sadness. "I can't bear to be kept away from him any longer. I need to find a way to see Nikolai, to break through this barrier he has built around himself."

Genya listened attentively; her eyes filled with empathy. "What can I do, Mara? How can I help you?"

Mara took a deep breath, her gaze steady and determined. "I have a plan. I know Nikolai's secret office, the place where he goes to handle his duties in secrecy. I believe that's where he hides himself away from everyone, including me. I want to find a way to get there, to confront him and show him that I'm here for him, no matter what."

Genya nodded, her expression resolute. "I will do whatever it takes to assist you, Mara. We will find a way to reach him."

Mara's eyes sparkled with gratitude. "Thank you, Genya. Your support means the world to me."

Together, they started devising a plan. They gathered information about the secret office and analyzed the palace's layout, searching for vulnerabilities and hidden passages. Mara's determination grew stronger with each passing moment, fueled by her unwavering love for Nikolai.

Days turned into nights as they meticulously prepared for their clandestine mission. They disguised themselves as servants, blending into the bustling palace, using their knowledge of the staff's routines to their advantage.

Finally, the day of their plan arrived. Mara's heart pounded with a mixture of anticipation and nervousness. She and Genya navigated the labyrinthine corridors, their steps light and purposeful, avoiding the prying eyes of guards and courtiers.

With each passing obstacle, Mara's determination grew stronger. Nothing would stand in her way. She had to reach Nikolai, to show him that their love was stronger than any darkness that plagued him.

They reached the hidden passage that led to Nikolai's secret office. Mara's hand trembled as she pushed open the concealed door, revealing a dimly lit room. She stepped inside, her eyes searching for any sign of Nikolai's presence.

And there he was, standing by a window, the weight of the kingdom evident in his posture. He turned, surprise flashing across his face as he saw Mara and Genya standing before him.

"Mara?" Nikolai's voice held a mixture of shock and longing. His defenses crumbled, the facade he had built cracking under the weight of Mara's presense. He raced forward and pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly as if afraid to let her go. Hastily pressing his lips all over her head and face.

"I'm so sorry, Mara," he sobbed, his voice filled with regret. "I never wanted to shut you out. I thought it was for your own protection, but I realize now that I was wrong. I need you by my side. I'm so afraid." He finished, his voice wavering.

Mara caressed his cheek, her touch filled with tenderness. "What has happened?"

In that moment, the barriers that had separated them melted away. They embraced, their love radiating in the quiet room. Genya had graciously stepped out of the doorway, giving them some time.

The weight of the world seemed to lift off Nikolai's shoulders as he finally allowed himself to be vulnerable. But as he began to open his mouth, he froze, and looked down at his arms.

Dark veins began to swell under his skin, and he looked up at Mara in horror. Mara pushed herself away swiftly. His eyes were solid black.

"Run!" Nikolai yelled, pushing himself into the corner of the small room. Mumbling pleas and cursing under his breath as his body began to change. He held his head in his hands, clawing through his hair. Mara's eyes widened, her heart racing as he began to no longer resemble the form of a man. She turned and began running out the passageway, dragging Genya behind her. A monstrous scream erupting from behind them.