Chapter 7

--- Nikolai's POV---

Nikolai entered the war room, his eyes scanning the maps and reports scattered across the table. The room hummed with an undercurrent of tension as his advisors discussed the latest developments in the ongoing battle against the Darkling and his forces.

Amidst the flurry of voices, a piece of urgent news caught Nikolai's attention. A scout had reported a sighting of the Darkling, his presence casting a shadow over the nearby orphanage. The report hinted at the Darkling's sinister plan to unleash his wrath upon the innocent children.

Dread washed over Nikolai as he absorbed the gravity of the situation. The safety of those defenseless children weighed heavily on his mind, and he knew that every second counted. With steely resolve, he turned to his trusted commanders.

"Prepare a strike force immediately," Nikolai commanded, his voice firm and commanding. "We cannot allow the Darkling to harm those children. Lives are at stake."

Efficiently and swiftly, the commanders set to work, assembling a group of skilled soldiers and Grisha. They were the elite, chosen for their strength and unwavering loyalty. Nikolai knew that time was of the essence, and they needed to act swiftly to protect the orphanage from the impending threat.

As the group gathered, Nikolai's mind raced, torn between his duty as a leader and his concern for Mara's safety. He glanced towards the palace, where she would be sheltered from the imminent danger. Taking solace in that thought, he steeled himself for the task at hand.

With a final glance towards the war room, Nikolai led the group out of the palace, his strides purposeful and determined. The weight of responsibility settled on his shoulders, urging him forward with every step.

Though he longed to ensure Mara's safety personally, Nikolai knew that leaving her within the palace walls was the best course of action. The orphanage was the immediate priority, and he trusted that Mara, resourceful and resilient, would understand.

--- Mara's POV---

Meanwhile, within the walls of the palace, Mara's heart sank as she received the news of the attack. She wanted to help, why hadn't Nikolai come to her. But her questions were silenced with the worry for Nikolai's safety. Quietly she prayed to the saints for his protection, vowing that she saw him again, she wouldn't be so disagreeable.

Soon the room darkened, and the Darkling materialized before her, a haunting presence entering the air. His voice dripped with malevolence as he revealed a chilling truth.

"Mara, my dear, you've been played," the Darkling sneered. "It was all a trap, orchestrated to lure Nikolai away from the palace, leaving you vulnerable and alone."

Fear gripped Mara's heart as she realized the implications. She had to warn Nikolai, to ensure his safety. But as she rushed towards the exit, guards stood in her path, their expressions firm. Mara looked back, and noticed that the guards couldn't see the Darkling. Their gazes set forward and unmoving.

" I'm sorry, but we cannot let you leave the palace," one of the guards said, his voice tinged with regret. "It is for your own safety, under orders from the prince."

Tears welled in Mara's eyes as desperation consumed her. "Damn stubborn man." She groaned. "Please, you don't understand. Nikolai is in danger. I have to warn him!"

But her pleas fell on deaf ears, and her attempts to convince the guards proved futile. Frustration turned to determination within her. She had learned to harness her powers of light, and now she would use them to escape and save Nikolai.

Gathering her strength, Mara summoned her newfound abilities. Brilliant beams of light emanated from her fingertips, illuminating the corridor with an ethereal glow. With each step, her power grew stronger, until she broke free from the guards' grasp. Causing them to grab their faces as the light burned their vision.

Mara raced through the palace, her heart pounding with every stride. But as she emerged outside, a sight that froze her in terror greeted her. The Fold, a massive shadow of darkness, surged across the plains towards the palace, devouring everything in its path.

"Nikolai!" Mara cried out; her voice laced with desperation. She had to warn him, to protect him from the impending danger. But the chaos and destruction unfolded too swiftly, leaving her no opportunity to reach him.

Faced with the looming threat, Mara's survival instincts kicked in. She dashed towards the safety of the palace catacombs, seeking refuge from the colossal shadow monsters that materialized from the Fold. The catacombs, a labyrinth of forgotten secrets, became her temporary sanctuary.

Within the depths of the catacombs, Mara navigated the winding passages, her breaths shallow and quick. Fear clung to her like a suffocating shroud, but determination burned brighter within her. She would find a way to escape, to reunite with Nikolai and fight against the encroaching darkness.

As she cautiously maneuvered through the eerie darkness, her ears caught the echoes of whispered secrets and forgotten legends. The catacombs revealed hints of ancient spells and hidden passages, fueling Mara's hope and strengthening her resolve.

Lost in the maze-like tunnels, Mara encountered grotesque shadow creatures, their menacing presence a constant reminder of the danger that surrounded her. She summoned her powers, weaving threads of light to fend off the creatures and protect herself.

Their prehistoric screams causing her ears to burn, and bleed. She kept running, her lungs stinging as she pushed herself faster and faster. The walls and supports of the passages collapsing around her. Rubble and stone falling into her eyes as she pushed forward. 

One of the creatures extended its arms and reached for her through the distance between them. Mara's muscles were weak, and her power was all but a glimmer. She wasn't used to using her skill as often as she was now. But in one last attempt she stopped and held out her palms, creating a large ball of sparks, hurling it at the monster. 

The light collided with the darkness quickly, causing the creature to explode into dust. Shaking the enter palace. A large stone fell above her, crashing onto her shoulder, causing a small scream to escape her lips. Her hand flying to her arm, holding it as blood seeped through the fabric of her dress. The heavy garment dragging behind her as she made her way through the halls. She let out a groan of frustration. She would give anything for a pair of pants right now.

Time seemed to blur as Mara fought her way through the catacombs, each step bringing her closer to escape. She relied on her instincts, her intuition guiding her towards the path that would lead her back to Nikolai.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Mara emerged from the catacombs, the palace looming before her. But her relief was tinged with sorrow as she witnessed the devastation that the Fold had wrought upon the once majestic structure.

With tears streaming down her face, Mara whispered Nikolai's name, hoping against hope that he had survived. The silence that followed was deafening, and her heart sank with a mix of despair and determination.

Mara, now hardened by loss and driven by a newfound purpose, vowed to carry on the fight. With the knowledge she had gained and the strength of her light, she would face the darkness head-on. Nikolai may be lost to her for now, but she would not rest until Ravka was free from the grip of the Darkling and his shadows.

And so, Mara took a deep breath, her resolve unwavering, as she stepped forward into the desolate remnants of the palace, her path set towards a future where light would prevail over darkness.