Genius and the Snob (5)

As soon as I shut my locker, Jack's face appeared in the place it once was, a goofy grin on his face. With a shake of my head, I clutched my calculus book into the crook of my right arm and pulled out my cellphone.

"So you know how I am the center of all of the gossip—"

"No, you're just nosy and since no one notices your existence you're able to hear all of their innermost secrets. There is a difference."

Frowning, Jack followed me down the hall. "Well that was rude."

I laughed. "Just being honest. What did you hear though that is so important?"

After a snicker, Jack explained, "Apparently Bridget has some nasty flu so she's going to be out of school until her at home doctor can find some improvements in her condition."

Cocking my head to the side, I replied, "Sounds serious."

"Maybe," Jack said without an ounce of sympathy. "But she'll be okay and the whole school will be at peace while she is gone."

"Only the dead can be at peace. Those of us that live are never at peace, not really," Marianne said, her voice dark and brooding. I chuckled as Jack immediately became annoyed.

"Here you freaking go! I don't understand why you have to make everything so morbid. You're like a horrible movie. Get away from me!"

I laughed even harder. "Guys, don't start."

"Jack, don't you have your mother to tend to?"

"Jack, don't you have your mother to tend to?" he mocked. "Don't you have a funeral to attend?" he countered.

Quickly assessing Marianne's wardrobe, I found her to be wearing a black lace dress that stopped at her ankles, her hands gloved, and a choker around her neck. She could indeed attend a funeral in this attire.

"A funeral would be way more interesting than this gloomy school."

"You are gloomy, Marianne. Go take the souls of those that are less fortunate and leave me be."

With a sly smile, she stepped closer to Jack, resulting in him tensing up. "That would mean that I would have to take your soul," she whispered. After a wink, she disappeared into a nearby classroom.

Shuddering, Jack said, "She makes my skin crawl. How can you be so calm and normal around her?"

"Easy, I just see her as a person and therefore I treat her like a normal person." I snorted.

"Well she is not a normal person, she's worse than Bridget. At least with Bridget you could take her out in public and people wouldn't think you were weird."

"Maybe you shouldn't care what people think." I poked him in the chest and he rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "You're so difficult, man. I'm going to calculus. See you later." I waved off and disappeared into my classroom.

School was a breeze, and before I knew it I was stepping into Mandy's car, school over and done with for the day. She looks to be in a better mood for she's smiling and in the car's cup holder is Starbucks. She usually drinks coffee on her happy days. That tends to be the other way around for other people, but leave it to her to be different.

"How was school?" she asked, trying to make conversation.

"Fine. I have lots of homework as usual." I sighed, looking down at my backpack. "I have to go back to that house you took me to last time, I'm tutoring someone."

"Okay, make sure you get your own work done though."

"Of course." When do I ever not do my homework? Parents.

She dropped me off in front of Alex's house and I waved her off, walking up to the door and knocking. Alex opened the door, dressed in a long gray dress with a green scarf around her shoulders that covered her head and mouth. So creepy.

"How are you today?" I asked, trying to be polite.

"Fine," she answered, her voice so soft I had to strain to hear it. It's scratchy and rough, yet feminine at the same time.

I followed her into the house to find all of the blinds closed, things thrown everywhere, yet the house looks expensive and grandiose with the gold paint and fancy furniture. It's weird that she doesn't accent that more. There are so many windows and with a little light the interior could be glorious.

"So what subject do you need help with in particular?" I asked as we sat down at a dining table. Not one speck of dust on here. Interesting.

"All of them." Alex sat down and folded her hands into her lap.

"Okay..." I hauled my backpack onto the table and started to take out all of my books. Alex leaned down to pick up a little folder, placing it on top of the table. "Let's start with math. What math class are you in?"

"Calculus."

"Me too. This will be easy." I smiled at her and she nodded, pulling out a sheet of paper and placing it in front of me. I looked down at it to find it to be the same exact worksheet that is due for me today. "Hey, we have the same work. I have to do this assignment too." I pulled out my own worksheet, and she looked away, biting down on her fingers that were down to nubs. They are red and swollen.

"That's great." She started coughing and then sat up straighter in her chair. "Can we get started?"

I nodded my head, opening up my calculus book. I tutored her on it for thirty minutes and she quickly picked up on each instruction, solving each and every problem with me until the worksheet was complete. "You aren't bad at this."

"I didn't say I was stupid," she snapped. "I just needed help."

I frowned. Well how rude. "Okay, my bad."

She sighed, biting her nails again. "I'm sorry, that was rude. Thank you, I appreciate the help. I can do my other work by myself. Thanks for coming by." She stood up and I took it as my cue to leave. I packed up all of my stuff and let her lead me out to the door.

"Alex?"

"Yes?" She reluctantly turned to face me again as I stood in the doorway.

"Why don't you just get homeschooled?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Because someday I hope I can go to regular school with regular people. Just leave, okay? All I need is a tutor, I don't want—I don't need a friend."

It felt as if she slammed a heavy door into my face. I had no idea that my trying to communicate with her meant I was trying to make her acquaintance. Nodding, I stepped out of the door. "Understood."

"Good, bye now." She closed the door and I stood on the porch, my hands in my pockets.

I've never met anyone so cold, so closed off. It makes me interested and eager to see her again because I want to know what makes her bites her nails. I want to know what makes her wear all of those clothes and cover up so much. I want to know why she doesn't open up any of the windows in her home. I want to know everything so badly. It's as if I feel a tug on my chest to return to the house. Ignoring the feeling, I got into Mandy's car as soon as she pulled up.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Feb 08, 2016 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Genius and the Snobजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें