There's Something About Wendy . . . (Chapter 5)

The next day, I was kind of excited for art class.

I was excited because . . . I don't really know. Maybe it was because of Miles. Maybe not. I was kind of torn. I was so amazed how Miles just made everything more brighter with just his smile . . . I guess.

I walked into art class, sitting next to Miles as usual. Only the two other guys who were sitting with us yesterday weren't there. Instead, Wendy's two friends where there. June smiled at me while getting out her sketch book. She loved showing off that she was good at drawing.

"Hi Rory," June said in a fake voice. "How ya doing?"

I shrugged. "Fine, I guess."

June smirked at Miles. "Who is this?" she signalled to Miles. I look at him. He answered, "I'm Miles." He looked down at his sketch book. June made a flirty look at her and then changed her attitude back to "too-good-for-you".

The art teacher came in, directed everyone to continue on our painting projects. Suddenly, I felt a huge gap of paint flicked at me.

"What the fuck?" I shouted. Everyone looked at me. It was June. She laughed. "What, Rory? Can't take a joke?" she said. I looked at my black shirt. Covered in white paint.

"You . . ." I didn't say anything before leaving room. What the hell? I thought she would like me, considering I'm friends with Wendy now. I walked into the bathroom, my face flaming red. God, this was so embarrassing, and really depressing. What if Wendy was only being friends with me, to do some kind of mean thing?

The door opened. It was . . . Wendy. How ironic.

"Rory? What's wrong?" she asked. I got up. "You're pregnant, aren't you? You're just doing this to get at me, right?"

Wendy laughed. "Don't be silly."

"Please, Wendy! Stop playing. What did I ever do to you?" Wendy's face went from playful to serious. She looked in the mirror, leaning over the sink. She looked at herself. "Hmm. Maybe we could flash back about a year." She turned around.

I thought. "And . . . ?" I asked.

"If you don't remember, Brian used to be my boyfriend. We dated for about a month. Then little miss perfect . . . aka, you . . . came along, and stole him. You snatched him from my hands. He was head over heels for you, completely smitten. I tried to not think about it. I went out with a few more boys to make Brian jealous, but that didn't work. So then he called me one night while you guys were fighting, and he told me he needed comfort . . . and we met up at the old house on West Street . . . and things happened."

There was silent for a few moments. I was . . . astonished. She did all of this to get back Brian, this stupid boy? I looked at her, wiping my tears. "You did this to get Brian back?"

"Not just that," Wendy said. "I did this to mess with your head. To feel the pain I did. Brian and I have to stay together, too, because . . ."

"You're pregnant?!" I said. She smiled. "How else would I keep Brian around?"

"Boys can leave you when your pregnant! It's call breaking up. What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked, getting up. I stormed out, into the halls. I walked over to the courtyard, and sat on the bench. I placed my head down. The bell rang. Great.

Someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around. It was Miles.

"Miles?" I said. He gave me a blue Blackvale school sweatshirt. "My mom bought this for me when we came here. Wear it."

"The paint will get on it . . ." I said. He shrugged. "Whatever, I can buy a new one. You can thank me later. C'mon," I put on the sweatshirt, and Miles grabbed my hand. "Let's go."

He took my out around to the cafeteria, and into the gym. We went through the only exit that doesn't have an alarm that goes off when you open it. He took me to the door, and out around the the parking lot. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"I'll take you home to change. Going to the nurse would make everything more complicated." He told me. I nodded. We walked over to his car, which was a black older-version of the Prius. The car looked pretty beat up.

He unlocked it, and I sat in the passenger seat. I was really nervous right now. I'd never been in a car with someone I barely know, but Miles was doing something I doubt any other guy I know would do. I guess he's just one of those guys who is really . . . something else.

"I love you for doing this," I joked. He smiled. "Wouldn't anyone?"

I directed him to my house and soon enough, we were there. I took out the key from under the mat. I invited him inside. "Nice house," he compliment. I nodded. "Yeah. Just stay here, I'll be right back." I rushed up to my room. I took off my now-ruined black shirt and put on a blue polo. I brushed my hair and walked downstairs.

Miles was sitting on the couch, paitently waiting. We walked outside to his car. Thank God my mom had decided to go out during the day. I was nervous that she would be home and ask Miles a million questions.

We drove back to the school. We opened the gym door and snuck into the halls. I jumped onto Miles, embracing him with a huge hug. He smiled. "Thank you thank you thank you!" I rejoyced. We laughed that we actually made it back to school without getting caught.

Lunch Time . . .

"What did he do?" Erin asked me. We were in the bathroom, talking about why I was wearing a completely different shirt. I told Erin that June 'accidentally' splattered paint all over my shirt, and Miles drove me home to get a new shirt. I left out the part about Wendy. I was still confused about her concept of how this was getting back at me.

"He drove me home. I was so . . . something Brian would never do." I told her. She nodded. "That's so romantic! Honestly. That is." Erin told me, smiling. We walked out of the bathroom together. When I walked into the cafeteria, Wendy glared at me, then kissing Brian. He kissed her back. Ew.

I saw down. Miles smiled at me. I smiled back. This was more then I thought I would get.

Back Home . . .

When I got home, I walked upstairs and fell on my bed. I looked at my wrist. 10 digits were on there that didn't seem as much as they actually meant. I asked Miles for his number, and he gave it to me. I can't believe this was happening. I had broken up with Brian, the one guy I thought was my soulmate, only a few days ago. Now . . . I wasn't so sure about that soulmate thing with me and Brian.