Behind These Hazel Eyes (Chapter 9)

*I need to get the months ahead with it instead of taking each chapter day after day, so be prepared!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't stop smiling the next morning.

In fact, I think I was up all night. I had butterflies in my stomach. It was such an amazing feeling. It was almost like the moment after your first kiss, you feel dizzy and tell yourself, "you can wake up now." Only, I didn't wake up. It was reality.

My mother woke me up at lesure. I put on dark blue skinny jeans, a yellow v-neck, and my black Converse. I brushed my already-straight hair and went off to walk. Ever since Miles showed me that path, I've decided to stop spending money on bus transportation and walk.

When I got there, Miles was there to greet me. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and walked me in. "So how was sleep?" he asked. I giggled. "Fine, I guess?" Brian usually just kissed me and walked to his friends. I wasn't used to small talk.

He smiled at me. He was glowing. Not like a pregnant woman, haha, but as in he was happy. I was glad. I was so sick of Brian, and maybe I could move on.

Miles took me to my locker. "There's Brian," he said. I looked over. "Yeah," I said.

"Aren't you going to talk to him?" he asked.

"Why should I?" I rolled my eyes.

"Well, we kind of talked about 'going back to our past to move on with the future' last night." He said. I shrugged. "Oh, yeah, we did . . . I guess so." I sighed, taking out my things from my locker. Miles took my hand to Brian.

"Brian," I said. He turned around. "Oh, hi, Rory." He said.

We had an extremely awkward pause. Miles broke the ice. "Rory has something to say." Miles contribuated.

"Uh, well . . . listen. I forgive you or whatever. I think we shouldn't have this strain or something between us." I told him. Brian nodded. "Agreed. I want to be friends. I want us to forget about what happened and move on." He told me.

If he just cheated, by kissing a girl or something, maybe I would have forgiven him. But he got a girl pregnant! How can I not be mad?

I acted like everything was okay. Miles put his arm around me and we walked away. "That was good," he said.

I laughed. "What are you, my therapist?" I joked. He smiled. "Maybe." He told me. We walked into first period together, and sat down.

Five Months Later [told you!]

Miles decided to go out to lunch with me. We snuck out behind the stage without being seen. We walked over to downtown, which wasn't too far. We went to Queens, a hamburger restaurant. Miles ordered a cheeseburger, which I asked for too.

"So what's your family like?" he asked.

I almost forgot that Miles and I knew almost nothing about each other. Our time together had been spent having fun and being ourselves, rather then learning about each other, because I guess it was the fact we were fun and crazy to be with and have an awesome time, rather then stressing about issues like family. We both assumed it was a danger-zone. Maybe we should get it out and over with.

"My mom is crazy, and dad left the family when I was younger, and my sister is in college." I blantly said. He nodded. "I see," he told me. I took a bite of my burger, as they had just arrived.

"And you?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Eh, life could be better. My family's a little dysfunctional. My mom is all alone raising me. My dad . . . I don't know who he is." He told me. I nodded. There's something we had in common; our dad's were selfish asses.

Once we finished, we luckily snuck back in school without getting caught. I kissed him goodbye and walked over to my next period . . . which I had with Wendy. God, I didn't want to see that selfish bitch.

Before I could go to the class, I heard crying. I was curious, so I opened the door. Blonde curls with reflecting on the mirror. It was Wendy. Just as I was about to leave, Wendy saw me.

"R-R-Rory?" she stuttered. Oh god.

"Yeah?" I said. I acted like I didn't see anything. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "No!" she came into me. She put her head on my shoulder and cried. "What have I done?!" she asked me.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Get off me." I backed up. She sighed. "Oh, what do you care?! I'm 16 and pregnant! My friends dumped me, and Brian---" she stopped. Maybe she realized who she was talking to. But . . . I showed sympathy. I'm too compassionate.

"Your friends dumped you?" I asked.

She nodded. "Apparently being pregnant is 'uncool' and gives them a bad image." She said. She laid back on the wall and slid down, and covered her face into her knees. "What have I done?" she repeated. "What have I?"

I wanted to say, "That's what you get, bitch!" really, really badly. But at the same time, I felt bad. This was a sticky situation. She's probably really distraught.

"What about Brian?" I asked.

"He's having . . ." she started. "He's having commitment issues. He said he wanted us to have the baby. He said he wanted to raise it. He said, 'don't get an abortion, I'll marry you and we'll have a great life'. I believed it all . . . I believed it." She slapped her forehead with her hand.

I knew what she meant. Brian said the same thing. He said he loved me. He said he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. But he never told me he would sleep around.

". . . and now he's not so sure. He came up to me and said he thinks I should get an abortion, but I don't have the money." She said. "Abortions here caught like, 1,000 dollars." She said.

I nodded. "Sorry." I told her.

She nodded. "I guess that's what you guess when you get a free condom," she said.

"Wait . . . what?" I said. "I thought you said you planned this all?"

She laughed. "What kind of teenager would be stupid enough to plan something like this? If I wanted Brian, then I would have taken him from you without even having to touch him." She said. I rolled my eyes when she turned her back. There's the Wendy I know.

"But . . . do you really want to know what happened?" she said. I shrugged. "I guess."

She took a deep pause. "Rewind five months ago. You and Brian were dating. You guys weren't fighting, it was just . . . Brian was 'sexually frustrated'. He was closing down the supermarket he worked at, and I was the only one left. I had walked there, and Brian offered me a ride. I stupidly took it. We pulled into an empty parking lot and talked for about five minutes before we were in the back, doing the thing that began this situation."

I was silent. He told me we were fighting and he was vulnerable. He told me he didn't know what he was doing, and that it was all confusing.

"He was a bit . . . weird. He kept saying, 'c'mon, baby.' and stuff. I mean . . . he was scaring me. He was scaring me that if I didn't give him what he wanted, he would do what he wanted." She told me. I looked down, staring at my feet.

This was almost a scandal. A sex scandal. Girl gets knocked up by little miss innocent's boyfriend.

"I . . ." I was speechless. This was just so unrealistic. If Brian wanted me . . . he would have asked. But he knew I was the kind of girl who wanted to be in love with the person I was with. And I wasn't in love with Brian . . . and he knew that, too. He knew I wasn't sure.

He played me.

"I . . ." tears streamed down my eyes. I looked at the time on my watch. "I have to go." I wipped the tears off my eyes. I walked out. The hall was empty. I didn't feel like going to class anymore. I walked to the back of the stage, the same place Miles and I snuck out of, and walked out to my car.

I was torn.

I've been lyed to and manipulated.

Who says it won't happen again?