Chapter 30: A Drive

"There was this one guy I hooked up with a while back... he barely made any money... but he treated me with everything he had."

"We used to hang out by walking in the streets, making out in the alleyways cause that romance was free, it was affordable for him."

"One day, he decided to take me out on a date. I was expecting a walk to Andrés or something but he really did surprised me. Instead of an expensive motorcycle like yours, he pulled up in his papa's old rusty car. It barely made it to our destination but I appreciated the efforts he put in to fix it with what little money he had. All of it was just to take me out. You know, He wore his brother's suit, you could tell cause it was a bit huge for him."

"I was shocked when he took me to the theaters. He was so adamant to pay for everything, it was honeslty very thoughtful. We snuck in snacks cause theater popcorn is expensive. It was so fun pretending to be pregnant with all the food tucked in my belly! The tickets were front row, those were the cheapest. He was so nervous making out with me in the theater even if we had made out a hundred times before. He told me no girl was ever so interested to date him which made him nervous as if he knew he'd fuck it up somehow. He was right. We ended up towing the car but the walk home was the most pleasant times I had ever spent on a date. Poor guy dropped me off safely and decided to walk by himself. He lived so afar but he went through that pain for me. He did everything he could to keep me happy, even though it was too much, even though it broke him trying. We did fall apart as he decided to go back to his country...but.."

Marinette took a pause and said, "I'm sorry for taking about my ex on our first date but what I mean to say is, I don't need to be treated so well. I don't need your luxurious gifts and gestures. This all is great and I'm genuinely grateful but, all I'm looking for is a good time with you. So don't think what you do is not enough. Don't put me on some pedestal like I did to you years ago. Dont set some bars because you can't make it special every time and that leads to only pain. Youre so worried, so anxious to make this work, you'll forget to enjoy! Just because you expect me to be treated some way, doesn't mean it should hurt you by worrying about everything and not enjoy. As long as I get to spend time with you and you are, in all your consciousness, with me, I am content. That's all I will ever ask for"

Adrien had never been on a serious date till now. All this time, he lived in a fantasy of how he'd treated his Ladybug if they ever went out. Compared to the standards he had imagined as a kid, he hadn't done much for Marinette.

Adrien spent so much of his time worrying about whether she'd like him as Adrien or not that he'd forgotten to enjoy his date.

Marinette saw the worry in his eyes, as if, she was going to leave him if things weren't perfect. Marinette just wanted him to have a good time with her, like they did ever night as Chat and Marinette.

Adrien sighed and smiled at her. He pulled her head closer and landed a kiss on her forehead. Marinette blushed. She thought he'd be pissed but then she remembered that Adrien was a true gentleman.

"Even though I'd hate to agree with you, I needed to hear that. I just want to make things right. I just don't want you to choose.... someone else over.... me.." Adrien said.

"Oh Minou! Adrien, I don't know if we're meant to be together or not. Shitty things happen to the best of couples, but all I know is... YOU are my first love. Always have been and always will. I appreciated you when you didn't do anything for me. I appreciated you when I didn't even know you, I appreciate youre existence since then. You left all of us, still I chose to understand you. I appreciate your guts to run away from your Father. And now that you're head over heals with me, doing everything you can to make things right again... do you think I'll stop appreciating you?"