Chapter twenty

Sunlight poured through the window, painting the four people sleeping in the nest in a soft, yellow light. Tommy blinked open his eyes, wincing slightly as the sunlight directly hit his eyes. His eyes were still red and puffy from the crying, and he could feel his entire body aching.

Something soft was laying on top of him, a blanket most likely and he could feel an arm resting on top of his chest. Blinking again he found himself in the nest, coming face to face with a sleeping Techno. He frowned, remembering the last night's event. He certainly hadn't expected them to take him back to their house, the nest. Tommy was dangerous after all, maybe that was their way of making sure he wouldn't run so they could bring him to Pandoras?

But they had promised not to, Phil even said it was out of the question because of his age. Wait. Did they even know? They must have.

He shifted slightly, trying to get out underneath the arm that had him in a tight grip. It didn't work, only resulting in the arms gripping him even tighter and he quickly found himself pressed against someone's chest as a chin rested on the top of his head. Soft breathing filled his ears as brown curls came into his vision. Wilbur. He should've expected it, honestly. Only the phantom was that clingy, especially in his sleep.

Maybe they didn't know, Wilbur wouldn't be this clingy if they did. He was a vigilante after all, and even though the hero didn't hate Theseus specifically, he never said he liked him either. A sigh and then echoey purring rang through the room, the chest he was pressed against starting to vibrate. It soothed him, knowing that they might not know, or perhaps it was just Wilbur. But maybe they hadn't found the suit or had drawn the connection after his breakdown? Tommy hoped so, he'd like to keep all of this, at least with his civilian persona. And he just knew that it wouldn't last, not with them knowing his ability. Not with the god- or not god?- being after him.

A shiver ran down his spine as he thought back about what the man had said, what he had implied. His ability was strong enough to bring Death herself to her knees, claiming him. XD wanted to kill him so that Tommy may kill Death herself in Limbo. The teen didn't like that.

The purring picked up in intensity, Wilbur pressing him even tighter to his chest if that was even possible. A nice gesture, but for Tommy in his current condition, lungs still burning as if on fire, it was suffocating.

"Wilbur," his voice was raspy and immediately a cough rattled through his chest, entire body jolting under the sheer force of it.

Immediately, the arms around his chest loosened, the purring stopping as the person above him shifted, swiftly pulling him up into a sitting position as Tommy kept coughing, feeling like his lungs were about to come out of his body. Soothing circles were rubbed on his back as soft reassurances sounded in his ears, Wilbur being an ever-comfortable presence.

The cough didn't subside, only seemed to get worse as it shook his entire body, sending jolting pain through his entire chest. Wilbur let out a distressed noise and then the presence on his side was gone, not that Tommy could think about it much, too focused on getting some air into his lungs. Shortly after a hand gently wrapped around his wrist, tugging the hand away from his mouth as something cold slipped against his lips, fresh water immediately streaming down his throat. It was soothing, the cold water doing wonders to his burning throat and the teen grabbed onto the glass with shaking hands, carefully drinking more of it.

Wilbur looked at him with concern written all over his face, lips pressed in a tight line. Large dark shadows had formed under his eyes, his forehead creased in wrinkles. They sat in silence, Tommy kept on taking small sips and trying to will his lungs to work properly. Surprisingly neither Phil nor Techno had woken up from the coughing, seemingly too exhausted to have even noticed the younger men to be up and moving. Eventually, the urge to cough subsided, breathing was still a hard task but at least he didn't have to fight with his body anymore. Holding the now empty glass in a gloved hand he looked at the ground, frowning as he spotted his pulsing hand wrapped in white bandages, some of which had turned red already. Right, he had cut himself during the grip on Techno's sword. Tommy grimaced, that'd definitely need stitches. And there was no chance that they didn't know, they saw him grab the sword as Theseus, if Tubbo's glove wasn't a dead giveaway that sure was. He wouldn't be able to bullshit his way out of this one.