Chapter twenty-six

The sun hung high in the air, warm rays falling on the four men as they stepped out of the building. More and more people were running along the plaza now, construction workers already carrying around heavy pipes and other kinds of metal pillars to the ruins of the old accommodation tower. The area around the wreckage was restricted with yellow police tape and barricades, signs reading Construction ahead, entering without permission prohibited plastered all over the area.

Phil had hidden his wings again, mask resting in the pocket of his coat as he clutched his phone between shoulder and ear. Techno and Wilbur had pretty much done the same, masks were taken off immediately the second they had deemed the people around them occupied enough to not pry. Tommy had also taken off his mask, though his' couldn't quite fit in the pockets of his jacket, so instead, he carried it around. He had given the jacket back to the brunette, only grumbling a little as the older man cooed at him and ruffled his hair for seemingly no reason, yet again ruining his hair.

Sometimes, he really did wonder why he was keeping up with them. Then he remembered the constant reassurances, the feeling of being loved and protected, their support and the feeling of family and quickly realised why, smiling to himself a little.

Tubbo had called him, saying that he spoke to a doctor just about an hour after the four left. Apparently, the regeneration potions had done quite a lot of work already, but not all internal injuries were fixed properly. The bones in Ranboo's leg healed wrong, meaning they'd have to re-break them and then set them correctly. Unfortunately, no healers were available, a consequence of having to heal many injured civilians, heroes and police officers after the breakout, so they'd have to do it the traditional way. Through surgery.

"He's in surgery right now," Tubbo had mumbled into the phone, uneasiness practically crashing through the speakers like a wave would crash on the shore, "they said it might take a couple hours until he'll be in the recovery room."

Tommy had eyed Phil then, the older blonde man discussing something about the safehouse with an unknown person on the phone. Wilbur was also on his phone, texting someone, and only occasionally looking up from the screen to look around, not wanting to run into a lamp post. Techno was next to him, a hand firmly resting on the blonde's shoulder. It was grounding in a way, knowing that despite everything, no matter how scared he was for Ranboo and the future, they were present and would help.

"We're not that far from the hospital."

"No use," the young hero had immediately replied, "because of his condition they only allow one visitor and even then only for an hour."

"That's fucking dumb, we can't just leave him alone!"

"That's what I said! But the doc was pretty pissed at me already, think he didn't like me threatening to nuke the hospital if they kicked me out." The brunette hadn't sounded apologetic in the slightest, it made Tomym snort.

"Can't blame him, not exactly the right way of getting on someone's good side, Tubs."

"Oh shush, you would've done the same."

"I wouldn't have threatened to nuke the hospital, bit counterproductive if you asked me. 'sides, I don't even have the resources to build nuclear weapons, and neither do you."

"You say that as if you knew that for sure," Tubbo snorted.

"Well, it's a bit hard to get your hands on uranium and all the other shit as a minor innit?" The silence from Tubbo's side was just a little concerning. Just the tiniest bit. "Tubbo, please tell me you don't actually have nuclear weapons stored in your basement."

"I definitely do not have access to nuclear codes." He said. You know, like a liar.

"Tubbo!"

"It's fine, bossman, I'm not gonna use them unless someone forces my hand."