2

2 Months Later

As Christopher strode through the hospital corridors, the high of a successful surgery still coursing through him, he felt an undeniable sense of pride. He was, without a doubt, one of the best doctors in the hospital. But his self-assured thoughts were abruptly interrupted by the sight of Skye.

Skye, a striking young black woman with long, curly hair and an infectious smile, was busy attending to a patient. Her presence, though, always stirred something in Christopher – a blend of annoyance and an inexplicable pull. Her inexperience as a rookie nurse grated on him, yet he couldn't deny a certain intrigue about her.

Approaching the nurse's station, their eyes met, and a familiar tension crackled between them.

"Christopher," she greeted, her voice cool.

"Skye," he responded in kind, an edge to his tone.

They stood there, an unspoken challenge in the air. Christopher saw her as young and green, yet there was something about her confidence that he begrudgingly respected. She didn't seem to care much for his accolades, which was both irritating and strangely refreshing.

"What are you working on?" he asked, trying to maintain a professional demeanor despite the undercurrent of tension.

"Mr. Johnson in room 203," Skye replied, her stance firm, as if ready for whatever challenge he might throw at her.

Christopher nodded, a smirk playing on his lips. "Maybe you could learn a thing or two from observing a real doctor at work," he said, half-teasing, half-serious.

Skye's eyes flashed, but there was a spark there, a fiery spirit that intrigued him. "I think I can handle it, thanks," she retorted, her tone laced with a hint of defiance.

He chuckled, unable to help himself. "If you say so. But remember, I'm here if you need a masterclass."

Her scowl only deepened, but he noticed the slight uptick in her pulse, a telltale sign that his presence affected her just as hers did him.

As he turned to leave, Skye's voice stopped him. "Excuse me, Doctor Christopher," she said, seriousness replacing the previous banter. "We need to talk about Mr. Johnson's treatment."

Christopher turned, feeling a surge of irritation. "What about it?"

Skye's stance was resolute, her voice steady. "I believe the medication dosage is too high for him. He's frail, and it might be more harmful than helpful."

Christopher bristled at the challenge to his expertise. Yet, there was a part of him that admired her for speaking up. "And you're suddenly an expert on this?" he asked, his tone a blend of sarcasm and curiosity.

"I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I do care about our patients' wellbeing," she said, her eyes meeting his unflinchingly.

Christopher felt a twinge of respect mixed with frustration. Skye was challenging him, something he wasn't used to, and it both irked and intrigued him. "Skye, I know what I'm doing. I'm not just any doctor, I'm the best here. But... I'll consider your input," he conceded, a part of him unwilling to dismiss her concerns outright.

Skye's expression softened slightly, and for a moment, they shared a look that went beyond their usual sparring – a moment of mutual understanding, perhaps even respect.

But the moment passed, and Christopher, feeling a mix of annoyance and a begrudging admiration, excused himself to attend to his patient. As he walked away, he couldn't shake off the feeling that there was more to Skye than he had initially thought. She was a puzzle, a challenge, and Christopher found himself unexpectedly looking forward to their next encounter, despite their clashing personalities.