18

The sun was setting as Chris pulled up to his parents' lavish estate, the golden light casting a warm glow on the grand, ivy-covered façade. The meticulously landscaped gardens, the circular driveway, and the majestic fountain that graced the entrance all spoke to the family's old money and prestige. Chris took a deep breath, steeling himself for the conversation that lay ahead.

He stepped out of his car and walked through the ornate double doors, his footsteps echoing in the grand, marble-floored foyer. The scent of his mother's favorite flowers, white lilies, filled the air. He found his parents in the drawing-room, his mother, Victoria, sitting elegantly on a plush sofa, while his father, Richard, reclined in an armchair, still dressed in his golf attire.

"Christopher, darling! What a pleasant surprise," Victoria exclaimed, her eyes lighting up at the sight of her only child.

"Hello, Mother, Father," Chris greeted, forcing a smile. "I have something important to discuss with you both."

Richard, noticing the serious tone in his son's voice, set aside his whiskey glass. "Of course, son. What's on your mind?"

Chris took a deep breath, trying to steady his nerves. "I...I accidentally got one of my coworkers pregnant," he blurted out, unable to meet his parents' shocked gazes.

Victoria's jaw dropped, her blue eyes wide with disbelief. "Christopher, how could you be so careless?" she admonished, her voice strained.

Richard's face hardened, his lips pressed into a thin line. "You're a doctor, for God's sake. You should know better than anyone the consequences of such reckless behavior," he chastised, his disappointment evident.

Chris felt his face flush with shame. "I know, and I'm sorry. I never meant for this to happen. But it has, and I'm determined to make things right."

Victoria studied her son, worry etched on her face. "Tell us about this girl, Christopher. Is she someone we know?"

Chris hesitated, knowing that his parents' reaction might not be favorable. "Her name is Skye. She's a nurse at the hospital where I work."

Richard raised an eyebrow, his curiosity piqued. "And what is her background, Christopher?"

Chris swallowed hard, bracing for their reaction. "She's...she's black, Father."

Victoria gasped, her hand flying to her chest. "Chris, you've ruined her life," she whispered, her voice filled with a mix of sympathy and disapproval.

"It's not completely my fault," Chris retorted, feeling defensive. "We're both adults. We made a decision together."

Victoria shook her head, her eyes filled with worry. "You don't understand, Christopher. This will change her life, and not for the better. You've put her in a very difficult position."

Richard shook his head, his expression stern. "Christopher, you need to understand the consequences of your actions. This isn't just about you anymore. You've brought an innocent child into the world, and now you have a responsibility to provide for them, no matter the circumstances."

Chris clenched his fists, his frustration mounting. "I know that, Father. I'm not running away from my responsibilities. I'm here to tell you both that I intend to be a part of this child's life, to be a good father to them."

Victoria looked at her son, her eyes clouded with uncertainty. "We just want what's best for you, Christopher. We only hope that you understand the gravity of the situation you've put yourself in."

"I do, Mother," Chris assured her, his voice firm. "I'm going to step up and be the father my child needs me to be. And I hope that you both can find it in your hearts to support me in this."

Richard and Victoria exchanged a glance, their expressions a mix of concern and resignation. After a moment, Richard nodded, his voice heavy with the weight of his words. "We'll support you, Christopher. But you must understand that there will be challenges ahead, and you'll need to face them head-on."

Chris nodded, grateful for his parents' support, even if it came with a heavy dose of reality. "I understand, Father. I'm ready to face whatever comes my way."

As the conversation came to a close, Chris couldn't shake the feeling that his life was about to change dramatically. But with his newfound determination to be the best father he could be, he was willing to face the challenges that lay ahead, no matter how difficult they might be.

As Chris prepared to leave, his father spoke up, pausing him in his tracks. "We'd like to meet the mother of our future grandchild," Richard said, taking a sip of his whiskey.

Chris hesitated, unsure how to respond. He knew his parents' views on race and social status, and he worried about how they might treat Skye.

"You know this is all your fault," Victoria chimed in, her tone accusatory. "You knocked up a black girl, and now she's destined for setback."

"And because she's black," Richard added, swirling the whiskey in his glass, "she doesn't have the same privileges as, let's say, a white person. You've made her life hell, Christopher."

Chris was taken aback by his parents' blunt assessment of the situation. "How do you guys know so much about white privilege?" he asked, his curiosity piqued.

Richard glanced at his son, his expression somber. "I took a course on it last summer for the company. It's some messed up shit," he admitted, surprising Chris with his candor.

Chris nodded, considering his father's words. "I understand that Skye faces challenges that I'll never fully comprehend. But I'm committed to supporting her and our child, and doing everything I can to make their lives better."

His parents exchanged a glance, their expressions softening. "We appreciate that, Christopher," Victoria said gently. "But we still want to meet Skye. We want to be a part of our grandchild's life, and that means getting to know their mother as well."

Chris hesitated, weighing the potential consequences of such a meeting. "I'll talk to Skye and see if she's open to meeting you both. But I need you to promise me that you'll treat her with respect and kindness. She's already dealing with enough as it is."

Richard and Victoria shared another look before Richard spoke up, his voice firm but sincere. "We promise, Christopher. We may not fully understand everything she's going through, but we'll do our best to be supportive."

With a reluctant nod, Chris agreed to arrange a meeting between Skye and his parents. As he left the opulent estate, his thoughts were a whirlwind of emotions and concerns. He could only hope that, in the end, his parents would come to accept and embrace Skye as a part of their family.