17

The next day at work, Skye felt like she was moving in a daze. The events of the previous day, the conversation with Christopher, and the late-night call to her parents swirled in her mind, leaving her emotionally exhausted.

Her mother's reaction had been unexpected. As a devout Baptist, Skye had braced herself for disappointment or even anger. Instead, her mother had simply said, "It's all in God's timing," a response that was both comforting and confounding. Her father, for his part, had just grunted, a typical response that offered little insight into his thoughts.

At the hospital, Skye and Christopher seemed to have entered into an unspoken agreement to avoid each other. They moved through the hallways like two magnets repelling each other, even avoiding eye contact. The tension between them was palpable, a stark contrast to their recent interactions.

During lunch, Skye walked into the break room to find Christopher engaged in lively conversation with a group of doctors and surgeons. As soon as he caught sight of her, he abruptly stopped talking. The sudden silence caught the attention of Dr. Morales, who joked, "Um... did you have a Focal Onset seizure, Chris?"

Dr. Morales, half Black and half Mexican, turned and saw Skye. With a light-hearted tone, he said, "Ah, Doctor Johnson, joining us for the cross-cultural comedy hour?"

Skye didn't respond to the joke, feeling out of place and overwhelmed. She simply turned and left the room, hearing Dr. Morales's voice trail off behind her, "What's wrong with her?"

She ended up eating lunch in her car, alone with her thoughts. Alyx, her roommate and confidante, was still in the dark about the whole situation. Skye felt as if her world was spinning out of control, a whirlwind of emotions and decisions that needed to be made.

As she sat there, trying to eat her lunch but finding little appetite, Skye realized just how much her life had changed in a matter of days. The future she had carefully planned for herself now seemed uncertain, and the stress of the unknown weighed heavily on her. How she would navigate this new reality was a question that loomed large in her mind, and the answer seemed as elusive as ever.

Christopher settled into the comfort of Yusuf's luxurious penthouse, the sleek décor and panoramic views of the city creating a stark contrast to the emotional turmoil he was experiencing. Yusuf, the head manager for the NY Giants marketing team, was pacing the room, phone in hand, his voice raised in frustration.

"Dammit!" Yusuf yelled, slamming his phone down on the sleek coffee table. They had ordered New York pizza via Door Dash about thirty minutes ago, intending to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers game, but Yusuf's mood had soured.

"What happened?" Christopher asked, munching on some popcorn, his own concerns temporarily pushed aside by Yusuf's outburst.

Yusuf forced a sarcastic smile, full of irony. "If you ever want an excuse not to have a child, just take a look at my life."

Christopher's mouth went dry. Given his recent conversation with Skye, Yusuf's words hit closer to home than he would have liked. "Why do you say that?"

Leaning back on the Italian leather sofa, Yusuf's expression turned somber. "It's just... dealing with my ex is a nightmare. Every decision about Malik turns into an argument. I love my son to death, but co-parenting with her is driving me insane." He shook his head, recalling past incidents. "Did I tell you about the time when she threw a vase at my head?"

Christopher nodded, trying to offer a sympathetic smile. "How could I forget? She's insane."

Yusuf sighed, his frustration palpable. "And now she wants to take away my visitation rights because she's decided to raise him vegan. Like she's some kind of Kourtney Kardashian. It's ridiculous."