32

Her eyes fluttered open, she was lying on a bed in the ER. The lights were bright, and she could hear the sounds of monitors and equipment beeping around her. She looked around, her head throbbing.

"Welcome back," Chris greeted her, his voice filled with concern.

"What happened?" She asked, her voice hoarse.

"You passed out. The stress of the situation, the fight, it was too much. We've been waiting for you to wake up."

"Is René alright?"

"No, Skye. He's gone," Chris replied, his voice gentle.

Skye's heart sank. She had hoped that maybe the outcome would have been different.

"It wasn't your fault, Skye," Chris said, reading her thoughts.

"If I had been faster, maybe..."

"You did everything you could. You can't blame yourself."

"I guess," she murmured, still not convinced.

"I'm sure his family appreciates everything you did for him," Chris said, his voice reassuring.

Skye couldn't help but scoff. "Oh, yeah, his family. They were all fighting over his will, and his wife and ex-wife were ready to tear each other apart. If it wasn't for the fact that I was in the room, they probably would have," she said, her tone filled with disbelief.

"I'm sorry, Skye," Chris replied, his expression sympathetic.

Skye tried to sit up, but a wave of dizziness forced her to lie back down. She pressed a hand to her forehead, feeling the pounding headache. "How long was I out?"

"About an hour," Chris replied, checking his watch.

Skye sighed. She knew it would be a while before she recovered from the shock of losing her first patient.

"Hey," Chris said, his voice soft. "I know this is hard, but you can't let it consume you. You did everything you could. That's all that matters."

Skye nodded, though she wasn't sure if she believed him.

"You need to take it easy, Skye. You've been pushing yourself too hard," Chris said softly.

Skye opened her eyes and met his gaze. "I know, but with everything going on, it's hard to just... relax."

Chris squeezed her hand reassuringly. "I understand, but you have to think about your health, and the baby's. You can't help others if you're not well yourself."

Fuck. He had a point. He was right, but her mind kept playing back to René.

"Thank you, Chris. I'll try to remember that."

"Good. Now, rest. And no more emergencies," he joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Skye gave him a weak smile.

Skye nodded, knowing he was right. The reality of her pregnancy and the responsibility she had towards her unborn child weighed heavily on her mind.

Nurse Montoya, a very introverted nurse entered the room, her expression professional yet kind. "How are we feeling, Skye?"

"A bit better, thanks," Skye replied, attempting a weak smile.

"The doctor will be in shortly to check on you, but from what we can see, you just need some rest," the Montoya informed her.

"Actually," Chris interjected, "I can handle this. She's my responsibility."

Montoya glanced between them, her expression unreadable.