Chapter 3

Keagan stood in front of the worn-out door of the run-down building, his heart pounding with excitement. He hadn't seen his younger brother, Josh, happy in a long time and today he planned to make it happen. He raised his hand and knocked on the door, eagerly awaiting Josh's reaction.

The door creaked open, revealing Josh's tired face. His eyes widened in surprise as he saw Keagan standing there, a bright smile illuminating his face.

"Keagan?" Josh asked, his voice filled with drowsiness.

"Hey little bro," Keagan replied. Tension built up as Keagan stood face to face with Josh who had no clue what was going on. Keagan finally pointed to the end of the house, and tucked underneath an overgrown bush stood a shiny new bicycle, its vibrant colors contrasting with the dull surroundings. "Happy birthday, Josh! I know it's a little late for that but a promise is a promise"

Josh's eyes lit up as he beheld the beautiful gift. He couldn't believe it. Being homeless had made it difficult for them to celebrate special occasions, but Keagan had managed to find a way to bring joy into their lives.

"How... How did you manage to get this?" Josh asked, his voice filled with wonder and curiosity.

Keagan grinned mischievously. "Let's just say I stumbled upon a stroke of luck," he said, keeping the truth about his newfound abilities and the system a secret for now. "But hey, it's your celebration, and I wanted to see that smile on your face."

Josh's face beamed with gratitude. "Thank you, Keagan. You're the best brother anyone could ask for."

Tears welled up in Keagan's eyes as he wrapped Josh in a tight embrace. The hardships they had faced since their childhood came flooding back to him. They had both been adopted separately by their foster father, who provided a loving home until tragedy struck. After their stepfather's death, their stepmother's true colors were revealed, and their lives took a turn for the worse.

Their stepmother had fallen into a downward spiral of drug abuse, and her violent boyfriend had subjected them to unimaginable torment. It was a nightmare that lasted until Keagan graduated from high school and decided it was time to escape with Josh, determined to protect him from any further harm.

Keagan released his brother from the hug and wiped away his tears, mustering a smile. "Come on, Josh. Let's get you ready. Wear your sandals; I'm taking you shopping for new clothes. We're going to make today the best day ever."

Josh's eyes sparkled with excitement as he nodded, slipping on his worn-out sandals. Together, they stepped out of the rundown building.

As they made their way down the street, Keagan admired the look on his brothers as he rode his bicycle, feeling a renewed sense of determination. He vowed to protect and provide for Josh, to make up for the lost years, and to create a brighter future. The world may have been cruel to them, but they would persevere, side by side, as brothers should.

Keagan and Josh walked out of the clothing store, their arms filled with shopping bags. The sight of their new clothes brought smiles to their faces, and Keagan couldn't help but feel a sense of pride for being able to provide for his younger brother. As they made their way down the street It was almost lunchtime, and he had another surprise planned for Josh.

"Hey, Josh," Keagan said, turning to his brother. "How about we go to that restaurant we've always wanted to try?"

Josh's eyes widened with excitement. "Keagan? But isn't it too expensive?"

Keagan grinned. "Don't worry about that. Today is a special day, and I've got it covered."

They took their shopping and clothes back to the house and stuffed them in a drawer hidden beneath the rotting floor of the house, where none would dare think to look for new clothes. They left and finally arrived at the entrance of the restaurant, a lavish establishment known for its fine dining. However, their entrance was met with resistance. The guards eyed their casual attire and dismissed them.