Chapter Five

TW - self-harm. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transfiguration classes were starting to become a subject of distaste for Grey. Dumbledore was always staring at him or trying to subtly check his hands in some way. Grey no longer raised his hands to participate and he began sitting at the very back of the class so he could make a speedy exit as soon as the bell rang. His grades didn't suffer thankfully. Grey knew he was very good at transfiguration so he kept up with homework and revision. He just wished Dumbledore would move on to a new pity case. How he dealt with his issues was his own problem. Pain just happened to be the most effective strategy. Dumbledore just didn't understand. 

Richard had noticed his strange behavior changes. Two weeks after the quidditch match, while they were on their way to the dreaded lesson, he started a conversation.

"There's something wrong." He stated in a monotone voice. 

Grey glanced at him inquiringly. 

"Why have you been acting so different in transfiguration?" He continued bluntly.

Grey sighed, Richard was always one for getting to the point. 

"I'm just not enjoying it as much this year." He shrugged, picking at the scabs in his palms. 

He saw Richard roll his eyes and felt unease stir in his stomach. 

"Why not? What's changed?"

"It's easy, boring, like how you feel in history of magic." Grey dismissed.

He was trying his best to sound as casual as possible. The less emotion he showed, the more believable it was. 

"You loved it last year." Richard pressed.

"It felt like a challenge last year. This year just feels like revision."

Richard exhaled sharply through his nose, but Grey continued to avoid his eyes. 

They carried on silently down the hall and upon entering the classroom, wordlessly took their seats at the back. Grey began to pull and press at the scabs on his hands, once more breaking the skin. 

Richard didn't tell him everything, he reasoned. He kept things to himself so why couldn't Grey do it too? It didn't mean anything. Grey was thoroughly distracted by this as Dumbledore began the class, covering the theory of animagi. It didn't matter that he was missing it. This was a brand of magic he knew very well. 

The second half of the lesson was spent practicing vanishing spells, which was probably the most difficult transfiguration magic they learnt all year. In their pairs, they'd been given a small handful of buttons which Grey and Richard were taking turns to vanish. 

Grey could feel another headache creeping up the back of his skull. He was hoping it would remain manageable enough to last him till the end of the lesson, then he could nap that evening. Dumbledore was making rounds through the pairs, observing everyone's spells. Eventually, he made it to the two boys.  

"Mr. Myers, why don't you go first." He beamed. 

Richard effortlessly vanished his button. 

"Excellent job, now you Mr Willow."

Not looking at his teacher, Grey vanished his button, imagining it was Dumbledore. 

"Very good, now have a go on these beetles." The teacher said, placing two iridescent bugs on their table. 

Grey saw Richard cringe slightly. The boys began working on the bugs. Live creatures were much harder to vanish than inanimate objects. 

"Not challenging enough huh?" Richard poked at Grey, grinning through his evident frustration.