Chapter Thirteen

By the following evening, Grey could bare his isolation no longer. The sky was dark and starless but the curfew was still not for another hour and a half so he designated the time to track down his wayward friend. 

The last lesson of the day had been potions, which Richard had spent on the opposite side of the dungeon classroom. However, Prendergast had set them a particularly nasty lengthen essay for homework, which was due the coming Friday so Grey felt fairly confident that Richard would be making a start in the library. 

He knew his friend well. For one, he never left homework to the night before if he could help it, so that ruled out Thursday evening, and tomorrow, his class had their fortnightly astronomy lesson. Richard always had a nap before it so he wouldn't be able to do the assignment tomorrow. Thus, he had to be in the library today. 

The corridors were extremely cold that evening as a vicious northern wind blew around the castle. As he made his way, Grey could hear the faint pattering of rain begin to hit the window pains. The sound almost kept in time with his rapidly beating heart and fast-paced footsteps. To an outward eye, anyone could see the strained urgency in Grey's stance. 

Before his second year, loneliness had just been a natural part of his life - the miscast orphan. Born to no one, with a soul eternally trapped in the wrong body, isolation was practically Grey's shadow. 

Yet when Richard came into his life, it was like he'd found a part of himself that had been missing. It didn't matter that they didn't talk much. The simple act of existing in tandem was enough for the two boys. And since Derric-

It was like he'd lost two fundamental parts of himself. The absence left by Derric would never go, it may get smaller but Grey knew his loss would stay with him forever. But the loss of Richard had left a void, a vacuum, consuming each other part of Grey, slowly and painfully. He needed Richard. He needed him more than he needed anyone and for once he didn't care that he didn't know why. 

Arriving at the library seemed to momentarily draw all the breath from Grey's body. He paused at the entrance, chewing the inside of his cheek. He had no idea how this would go or if Richard was even here. These worries could be answered though. Steeling himself, Grey entered. 

The quiet booths between the shelves were filled with a myriad of students. Shifting awkwardly between the masses, Grey hurried to their usual spot, and his heart lept at the sight. 

Lo and behold, Richard was there. His shoulders were bent forward as he lent over a large book and he kept reaching up to push back his unkempt dark hair. It was getting long, Grey noted as he paused behind a shelf. 

It took him a few minutes to work up the courage to approach, his heart was beating so fast he thought he might pass out before he reached the table. But then, he suddenly felt ready. 

"Richard?" He whispered, rounding the shelf that had been his hideout. 

The Slytherin boy's eyes snapped sharply up to meet his. 

"Richard can we talk-"

But his plea was cut short when once again, Richard rose quickly and stormed silently past him, out of the library. Part of him wanted to give up right there, as the absence in his chest swelled painfully, but then he thought of Derric. He wouldn't want them divided. He wouldn't want them hurt. As hard as it was to think of Derric, the sentiment emboldened him just enough. 

With only the briefest hesitation, Grey tore out of the library. He sped after Richard's retreating form, eventually pushing his way in front of him. Richard tried to duck past him but Grey shifted to block his path.