Chapter Twenty-Five

Grey couldn't tear his eyes away from Mrs Myers as he found himself frozen in place. He was actually grateful when Dumbledore pulled him gently backwards and wrapped a shielding arm around his shoulder. 

"Grey has had an awful ordeal, perhaps it's best we discuss-" 

Elks' scurrying suggestion dwindled as the lady shot her fiery glare briefly in his direction. Once she was sure he was silenced, she turned her attention back to the pair. 

"Well if this one's here, where the hell is my boy?" She demanded sharply.

Mr Myers approached, standing boldly behind his wife. Grey didn't know what to say but the guilt was returning painfully and steadily. 

At that moment, two more figures appeared through the door. The first was the concerned visage of Headmaster Dippet. But the second made Grey's blood boil. 

Professor Fallow entered, wearing a false expression of deep worry. Instinctually, Grey reached for his wand. He'd forgotten in the panic that it had been snapped. The anger was enough to energise him momentarily and in an instant, he had detached from Dumbledore, striding past the Myers and straight at Fallow.

A collective gasp of shock echoed around the entrance hall as Grey's fist connected with his professor's nose. He watched, still unsatisfied, as the man stumbled back, clutching his now bleeding nose. 

It wasn't enough. He deserved more. 

Grey went to strike again but Elks immediately grabbed his arms and held him back. 

"What is the meaning of this Mr Willow?" The headmaster exclaimed in utter shock. 

Grey glared, wishing his look was enough to hurt Fallow. 

"He works for Grindelwald," Seethed Grey, "He was the one who smuggled us out of the castle."

At his words, Elks instantly released him, brandishing his wand at Fallow. It took every mote of strength in Grey not to fly at the man again. 

"Is this true, Elmore?" Dippet inquired sternly.

Fallow scoffed, wiping his bloody hands on his robes. 

"Of course not, the boy's clearly delusional." He spat.

Fuck strength. Grey started towards him again. 

This time around, Dumbledore grabbed him and pulled him back from Fallow. The anger and guilt now firing in Grey was blinding. 

"It's ok," He heard Dumbledore mutter softly in his ear, but the reassuring words did nothing to calm him.

"I am not delusional," Grey fumed, "You came to us that morning, threatened to kill him."

He couldn't bring himself to say Richard's name. A whimper sounded from one of the Myers, he was unsure which. Meanwhile, Fallow fixed him with a piteous look.

"Poor lad, probably confunded," He sighed.

"I am not confunded!" Grey strained as he tried to wrestle free of Dumbledore's hold. 

Much to Grey's surprise, Prendergast spoke up. His voice was steady but Grey noticed he had Fallow fixed with a loathing look.

"So you wouldn't mind confirming it under Veritaserum, Elmore? I have a batch."

Fallow's cool demeanour faltered slightly. 

"Surely there's no need for that?" He objected.

"These are dark times Elmore." Elks retorted coldly.